School me on smokers

Avoid Camp Chef. Recently got a Camp Chef XXL for vertical hang smoking sausages. The smoke is poor compared to a stick burner offset. The auger feeds from the center and the hopper geometry leaves pellets on the sides so even if you think there are pellets in there, it can cause flame outs. I've got about 10 cooks on it and the paint is already bubbling and peeling off. Their app is unreliable at best also. My brother has a Recteq and doesn't have any of these issues and has much better smoke. Still not an offset level smoke but better. Another neighbor has a regular hortizontal camp chef and has the paint and auger issues as well. I'll keep the camp chef for now but will only be using it for hanging sausage smokes.

I remember back in the day ... yeah - last century :) in the 60s my dad and I salvaging a fridge from the dump, stripping it out and putting a hot plate in the bottom to smoke sausage.
I've got a Smoky Mountain vertical propane I've had for years, and a Brinkmann offset for almost as long.

i used a traeger over labor day. it's too easy. i'm planning to find a good deal on one of them or a pitboss. i did a leg of lamb, pork butt and whole chicken. everything is delicious. set the heat and throw a probe in it and pull at your desired temperature. no more charcoal, soaking wood chips and trying to maintain a certain temperature.

I am wanting to make my own pepperoni and sausage snacks this year. What should Iook for when buying a smoker, there are so many styles. Chips, pellets, offset, cold smoker....
I would like to keep it under $500
Just keep in mind, pepperoni is "fermented". That's another tightly temp and humidity controlled process.
Sausages/links can be smoked.

Weber Smokey Mountain here using charcoal and chunks of hardwood. I love it! I have been eyeing a Little Chief for fish. I'm thinking smoking and canning fish next year.

I'd vote for a Pit Boss pellet grill.
I have 2 of them. You can find them cheap, even online at places like Walmart, Academy, Lowes, etc. They will ship to your door too.
They are as good as Traeger but 100's less.

I like being able to set the digital heat control for an over night brisket
that's gonna smoke 8 to 16 hrs. depending on weight of meat, then go to bed and not have to wake up to check or tend fire box.

The digital controls work great
but do not leave it outside in the winter for 6 months in 20 below.
Electronics dont like that. If you set it at front of your garage in winter, off to side, you can open garage door and smoke in winter too without leaving it outside.

I love that you have so many choices for woods and can find the one that suits your tastes or certain meats. Oh, I tried hickory, cherry,
mesquite, post oak, etc., but my favorite wood is pecan. I love my steaks, fish, brisket, smoked w pecan. It has a great flavor.

Pork may like apple wood or cherry.

Its just easy and convenient to get a few bags of pellets at the grocery or Lowes or order from Walmart. When I go to Texas, I drop by HEB and throw 4 bags of pecan or post oak in the car. $11 per bag at the grocery. $20 maybe online.

But its like powder and bullet seating finding that perfect wood.

The other great feature of Pit Boss is its versatility.....its not just a smoker. You slide back the barrel beneath the grill and you get the open flame from the firebox and can digitally dial it up from 150 to 400 degrees and grill burgers or steaks or anything else too.

I like to smoke my steaks and burgers for an hour or so on 100 to 150 degrees and when internal meat temp reaches 120, I slide back the barrel and grill them up to medium rare at 135.

They are best ever!

Pit Boss all the way sir! Pecan pellets.

I've been running the "TREK" Green Mountain Grill. It's the improved version of the Davey Crockett and I've had great luck with it. A friend brought his to deer camp last year and cooked some venison while the grill was plugged in to the trucks cigarette lighter (12v). Had to have one after that!

My dad and all his buddies swear by the recteq!

The best overall BBQ is Santa Maria style open pit over oak!

I agree on the Green Mountain it is amazing being smoking salmon and trout go the last couple of years it is just to easy and a turkeys are awesome

You need to cook pepperoni and stuff slowly, so cold smokers won't work, most pellet units are the way to go, easy run etc, I have a pellet pro mounted on the side of the shack I can smoke 300lbs plus of summer sausage at a time, it's nice to be able to hang ur meats to smoke them but they'll smoke on trays or bbq style smokers, u just need to know how many lbs u want to do at a time. I use a Webber wireless thermometer, stick the end into a sausage, and when they hit the desired temp, kick the door open

The other great feature of Pit Boss is its versatility.....its not just a smoker. You slide back the barrel beneath the grill and you get the open flame from the firebox and can digitally dial it up from 150 to 400 degrees and grill burgers or steaks or anything else too.

I like to smoke my steaks and burgers for an hour or so on 100 to 150 degrees and when internal meat temp reaches 120, I slide back the barrel and grill them up to medium rare at 135.

They are best ever!
Agreed! Reverse Searing your steaks/burgers is the way to go. 👍

But, the guys with the auto pellet feeder grills don't seem to produce what this old clunker can do.
To be invited to eat with someone who has mastered their wood fired smoker and grill is a treat. I have never tasted better smoked fish, beef and venison, nor ever had barbecue as good as that.

Agreed! Reverse Searing your steaks/burgers is the way to go.
Absolutely the best way to produce the most consistent steaks. The seasoning is all the the spices rubbed in, hours before.

I bought my green mountain grill pellet smoker with wifi in 2013 and other than a rat chewing through a wire, have never had an issue. I smoke a ton of salmon and all our veggies on it every year for salsa. Reverse seared tritip and ribeye are also amazing on it.

Last edited:
I bought my green mountain grill pellet smoker with wifi in 2013 and other than a rat chewing through a wire, have never had an issue. I smoke a ton of salmon and all our veggies on it every year for salsa. Reverse seared tritip and ribeye are also amazing on it.
Can ya head over to Cooks Corner and share some recipes?