SMK 6.5's ????

Varmint Hunter

SMK 6.5\'s ????

Why does Sierra make their 6.5 Matchking bullet in a 140gr and a 142gr weight?

What would be the intended applications?
confused.gif

VH

Re: SMK 6.5\'s ????

When i had the guy at sierra on the phone i asked him about that it didint make sense to me either. He said that the 140 smk was for older guns that didnt have 8 or 8.5 twist, and it was designed to stabilise in those guns. I think he mentioned match shooters shooting the Swede Mausers. ebb

Actually, it is a little easier to get the 140 mag length for a short action than the 142s.
Same reason they make a 77 and 80gr for the 223.

The 9 twist 6.5 WSM my Dad has shoots the 140 SMK and the 140 A-Max better than the 142 SMK FWIW.

The 140 A-Max and 142 SMK are the same length I believe.

OK, this may be dumb, but I gotta ask: For some reason, I seem to recall that there was an issue regarding Sierra having a contract w/ a large customer (Swedish nat'l gov't rings a bell) that involved some proprietary rights to the bullet design for one or the other of the 140/142gr 6.5mm MatchKing, hence the creation of the other one to provide something for the domestic USA market. Eventually that contract lapsed/expired, and now both are on the market here. For some darn reason I remember reading that in a gun mag years ago (like 10-15) but btwn the source, and my memory, it could be completely B.S.

???

Monte

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.