6.5 123gr SMK on deer?

eddybo

Anybody shot deer sized critters with these? I am running them just a tad under 3k out of a 6.5x47. I just walked in from the range, shot a good group at 850 with less than an inch of verticle and had similar results yesterday at 700. Telkev another LRH member hit a two inch target spot 4 out of 9 times with this load/gun yesterday at 700, and the other 5 were very close considering the switchy wind we had. What kind of terminal performance would these match bullets have on deer sized game at these ranges? I prefer lung shots over high shoulder hits, will these bullets do the job?

I've killed deer with .22 , .243 , .284 and .308 cal SMK's and all responded the same way being that they expanded pretty fast and made a nice hole , generaly the higher the impact speed the bigger the hole. I have heard of them "failing" and just pinciling right through with no expansion but I've never seen it. I can't see the construction of the 123gr SMK being any differant than that of the rest of them.

I have started using the Berger VLDs alot and find that they expand faster and cause a bit more damage , BUT , I use a maplat uniforming tool to make sure that the tip is open , this does drop the BC a little bit but making the meplat more uniform makes the BC more consistant and I think that unless you get crazy with the cutter the BC should still be higher than the SMK's

I shot a fallow deer at 326 yards with the 6.5 120gr SMK at 3000fps mv. Was not impressed with the result. Bullet blew up on entry, copper frags everywhere.

JCM,

What was the velocity and where did you hit the fallow? I hate to hear it, because my gun really shoots these bullets. I have some bergers and some lapuas on the way to try next, but guess I will have to get to some accubonds to try also.

Muzzle velocity was 3010fps, impact velocity was around 2350fps. 1st shot was just below the neck in the chest (animal was quatering towards me) 2nd shot was same range broadside in the shoulder, (yes, animal was still standing) animal ran into dense bush and I had to track it for 50 yards and final shot was at 10 yards as it was lying down. then I couldent believe it the deer jumped up and ran 10 more yards! fell over and I ended up cutting its throat. So after this unfortunate episode I decided I wont use match bullets for big game anymore. Its a shame because this bullet was accurate in my rifle to.
I have also shot 50 pound goats at 30 yards with this load, entrance hole was bullet size and bullet blew up under the skin and left a 6 inch exit wound. This bullet is very explosive. from my experience with it.
hope this helps

Last edited:
Been Hunting with match Kings in Africa for years - 7mm Kudu - 168Gr ,Wildebeest 130gr and now lately Fallow deer with 6.5 123grn MK - never had a failure and results always impressive - shot placement as with any calibre is king...

I have not used the 6.5 123 MK on deer but have shot a good number of deer with the .308 168 MK out of a 308 Win. In my experience out to around 500 yards I would say I have had a 1 in 25 failure. Most of the time there is similar results as a Berger VLD with DRT results but that 1 failure acts like a FMJ and the deer go a long way with little to no blood trail and I have not recovered as many as I found due to the jungle and swamp of east NC where I hunted. I gave up on them for a bullet that is actually constructed as a hunting bullet because the odds will be that one of those failures would be when old monster huge rack shows up. Nosler Ballistic Tip. I have kill a whole bunch of deer with the 120 Nosler BT out of a 6.5x55 running it 3000 fps out to 500ish yards. It is a killer. I am running the Speer 120 Gold Dot out of a 6.5 Grendel at 2550 fps but have only shot one deer with it at 111 yards and it did AWESOMELY.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.