Slug gun scope

dirtboy

Myrifle30-378009-1.jpg

I decided to have a rail made for my slug gun so I could get more use out of my S&B Haven't sighted it in yet. Anyone Know what website or have any info on mil settings I could use for slugs. I usually go on Best of the west website for info for my rifle, but I cant use that for this.gun)
lightbulb

Wow! Pretty serious about that slug gun aren't ya... I have a little Dodge Dakota I drive back and forth to work that isn't worth as much as that dude.:D

OK I will bite.

My Encore with 20 ga Fed Prem 3" Barnes Tipped expanders at 1900 fps and 100 zero is only 12" low at 200.

By the way, Federal has a ballistics calculator on their home page for all their slugs that you can manipulate.

Just exactly what are you shooting slug wise and distance that your scope will not accommodate now?

I am using the Nikon slug scope with BDC also.

something does not seem right that you need a custom base.

BH

Last edited:
@ Bravo 4, I like slug guns..lol! @ Bounty hunter. Well for hunting I would like to be capable of around 200 yrds. I dont know what is the accual effective killing range of the modern day slug, but I would like to know. I would like to see just for target how far I can cannon ball slug at, just for ***** and giggles..lol! The scope I have on here is about as top of the line as they get. Since I live in Jersey where Rifle hunting is not allowed, We have Shotgun season that starts in late Nov. and goes to Feb. So for the 1 week I would go rifle hunting a year I didnt want money to go to waste. Browning has their own slot pattern on their rails. So I sent my barrel out and had a true Picatinny rail (low profile) So I could mount this scope with out moving the scope rings. I didnt know if thier was a website that could give Mil settings for bullet drop this way I could just dial the bullet with guessing when shooting in.

At what range is a slug plenty capable of killing a deer, east coast about 100-130lbs

I personally have killed bucks at 176 yards with a 20 ga 2 3/4 slug at 1500 fps. I just switched to the new Fed Prem 3" at 1900 fps and have no doubts at 200.

Same thing goes with the 12 ga and sabot slugs. Save the money on the base and buy 2-5 boxes of different slugs and shoot 3 shot groups at 100 to see which slug shoots the best.

Go to that slug mftrs website and look up the ballistics data, but 200 yds is entirely possible using the mil dots as aiming points. Pretty easy to figure the drops if not listed all the way to 200. Get the Slug BC and go to the federal site and use one of theirs with similar MV and BC and use their calculator to figure the drop. You will be within an inch or two at 200.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.