Slow burning spherical powder ?

Petersen

Is there another slow burning spherical powder besides ramshot magnum and LRT? I've read n568 is a short cut but not heard its spherical. Pulled apart Hornady 300prc 225eldm loads and it is a spherical powder and a little over 80 grains of powder.

Last edited:
@Petersen Here is a pic of LRT. It's as round as round gets... at least to my eyes.

LRT.jpg

t

Thanks outlaw, appreciate it. Definitely not what's in the factory loads of 300prc 225eld. There is 80.7 grains and they are clean looking discs.

Edited post. Zooming in on pic of lrt, some look like they may be round but a little flat instead of perfect ball shape like some faster burning powders.

If it's a flattened ball powder, it's most likely Winchester 780 that's sold as bulk. They have sold it to us reloaders as 780, 780 Supreme but it often has large swings and is pulled via re-call.
I still have 8lbs and use it in a few magnums. It produces very good accuracy but gets very touchy near max and definitely in hot weather.

Cheers.

They have sold it to us reloaders as 780, 780 Supreme but it often has large swings and is pulled via re-call.
Agreed that it's probably something blended in bulk and doesn't line up directly anything sold to us.

I was siting next to a guy shooting factory Hornady Precision Hunter ammo in his 300 PRC. he skipped a round about 100 feet short of the berm. Set my LR on his bench and velocity was something like 2100FPS, about 700 FPS off from the box. Tried a different box of another brand and it shot more appropriate speed for a 300. Told him to call Hornady with the lot # and complain. Reason #357 I load my own.

I remember when 780 first came out as a canister powder, it was called Win 785 and was very good in all belted magnums except 375 and larger.
@QuietTexan
I bought Nosler 338-06 factory with 210g Partitions quite a while back, got them cheap, and when I fired them over the chrony, I got less than 2500fps…my hand loads run at 2750fps with that bullet, so was not too impressed with their speed, but they did shoot under MoA.

Cheers.

Recent Posts