Temp. resistant slow-burning powders?

fmajor

Which (if any....) slow-burning powders tend to less reactive to temperature?

If someone were loading for a high-case-capacity round, a big .338 caliber for example (not sure it matters which caliber....) and planned on hunting in different climates, which powder would be most likely to work in different temperatures?

The key words in your post are "tend to be."

Hodgon Extreme powders and I suppose IMRs tend to be less influenced by temperature.

Ball powders, in my experience, seem to be the most temperature sensitive.

Reloder 22, the only Reloder I use seems to be greatly influenced by temp.

FWIW

The key words in your post are "tend to be."

Hodgon Extreme powders and I suppose IMRs tend to be less influenced by temperature.

Ball powders, in my experience, seem to be the most temperature sensitive.

Reloder 22, the only Reloder I use seems to be greatly influenced by temp.

FWIW

Good info Roy.
I have found that H50BMG works extremely well in the large, .408 case, with the heavy .338 dia bullets.

I also found RL22 to be temp finicky (i used to have .300 WM which *loved* 71.3gns of it under a 190grn SMK).

Thanks for the info!

I tried US869 which is supposed to be temperature insensitive (in a big .338). My experience led me to try other powders. I think this is a great powder it just didn't work as I had hoped.

I have found that there is no powder that burns the same at -30 and 85. If you want accuracy you must dial for temperature.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.