Sizing help needed

birdiemc

I'm trying to size some hornady 6.5cm brass that was fired in a different gun. I'm using the Redding type S set with the separate neck die and body die. I have regular shell holders and the redding competition set.
My after sizing my brass still will not chamber in my rifle. I ran all the redding holders and 2 standard sized ones that came in lee die sets. Wont chamber. It's a chamber I cut with a saami spec reamer, checked headspace just now, go goes, no go dont.
Using a lee press, have the die set to bump the shell holder then in 1/4" turn. I trimmed a case that wouldnt chamber just to make sure that wasnt the issue.
Seems like none of the shell holders are thick enough to fully size the brass. Am I missing something?
Spent the last hour looking for my feeler gauge set to try and shim up the case to see, but figured I would check with you guys to make sure there's not something obvious I'm missing here.

I'm trying to size some hornady 6.5cm brass that was fired in a different gun. I'm using the Redding type S set with the separate neck die and body die. I have regular shell holders and the redding competition set.
My after sizing my brass still will not chamber in my rifle. I ran all the redding holders and 2 standard sized ones that came in lee die sets. Wont chamber. It's a chamber I cut with a saami spec reamer, checked headspace just now, go goes, no go dont.
Using a lee press, have the die set to bump the shell holder then in 1/4" turn. I trimmed a case that wouldnt chamber just to make sure that wasnt the issue.
Seems like none of the shell holders are thick enough to fully size the brass. Am I missing something?
Spent the last hour looking for my feeler gauge set to try and shim up the case to see, but figured I would check with you guys to make sure there's not something obvious I'm missing here.

Your used cases were probably fired in a loose chamber and need a full length sizing. use your standard full length dies and seat the die against the shell holder, if that doesn't do it, add shims between the shell holder and the case head one or two thousandths at a time as you mentioned until it will chamber, if it will still not chamber after using as many shims as possible, scrap the brass because the web area of the case has been over pressured and the dies wont fix that.

J E CUSTOM

So the body die in the redding set doesnt provide a full length sizing? Wish I would have known that before I bought the darn thing...just got it for the ability to change neck bushings but so far I'm not really enjoying anything about it

No it wont, pbike on accurateshooter makes the only die I know of that will do that.
You have to send him some cases.
I would just buy new brass

This should work for those once fired cases and it is cheep.

These are easy to set up also, you just screw them down to cam over on the shell holder and size.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
For your own edification you can color the case body with a sharpie and then try to chamber it a couple times. Then look to were the ink is worn off. You will at least see where the initial binding is.

What rifle is it? Is it a positive feed bolt (Mauser, Winchester, etc)?

Before you give up try turning the die more to bump the shoulder more. Do you have a comparator to know how much the shoulder is being bumped back?

I have a Mauser that has the same problem. Chamber was cut by a good mechanic, but it is apparently oversize. I don't think it's a length thing -- I think the reamer wobbled a little and made the rear of the chamber too large in diameter. After I fire a cartridge I have to run the case part way into the die, take it out and add more lube, then run it all the way in. I'm planning to get the chamber re-cut one of these days as I'm pretty sure it's oversize.

I tried RCBS dies, Whidden dies, and a Redding neck sizing die, but have finally figured out the RCBS dies were working as well as the other (expensive) dies.

One thing you might consider: is the Lee press "springing" when you use it? Most Lee equipment I have seen is not robust enough for really heavy duty work. You might consider asking a friend with a Rockchucker press to resize a couple of pieces of brass with your dies to see if springing is an issue.

I had the same problem with the same die using a Lee hand press. You need to set it up on a press that has over center cam like a rock chucker. Screw the die in so it bottoms out at the peak leverage of the stroke. Send it home firmly.
use the Redding shell holders with different thicknesses to further control headspace

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.