Sitting position - What's the right way?

frankinaustin

Howdy from Texas - I would like to add to my skills the ability to harvest game 300 yards with the use a tall harris bipod in a sitting position. My dad had shown me how he had learned in the Marines, but that was when I was 6 or 7, and I just don't remember.

The places where I do the majority of my hunting is all covered with tall grass, so prone isn't always an option.

Many thanks to all.

Frank

yobuck

Body position including the proper angle of the body in relation to the target is still
important when using a bipod. Otherwise you are forcing the gun to stay on target.
There are several positions from sitting. The most common would be a high position
with the elbows resting on the knees. The other is a lower where the legs are crossed
with both ankle bones flat on the ground. Elbows are resting on the inside of the knees. For me, this is the most solid of the 2. Again angle of the body to the target.
Turn your butt around till the gun rest on the target without forcing it.

J E Custom

There many different shooting positions that shooters use and modify to suet there needs and the best way I know is to try the excepted positions and adjust to your needs and comfort.

Hear is a link to the standard positions used That may help.

Basics of High Power Competition

These are all very good proven positions and with the addition of a bipod they should be rock solid.

J E CUSTOM

gareyg

Also load (lean into) the bipod with your body weight for more stability and better recoil management. again plenty of examples on youtube :)

Canadian Bushman

It wouldnt hurt to consider adding a tripod to your equipment. I find it a little easier to use than a fully extended bipod. It also allows me to keep a smaller bipod on the rifle for a stiffer prone position. Just a thought.

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce