Sitting position - What's the right way?

frankinaustin

Howdy from Texas - I would like to add to my skills the ability to harvest game 300 yards with the use a tall harris bipod in a sitting position. My dad had shown me how he had learned in the Marines, but that was when I was 6 or 7, and I just don't remember.

The places where I do the majority of my hunting is all covered with tall grass, so prone isn't always an option.

Many thanks to all.

Frank

Body position including the proper angle of the body in relation to the target is still
important when using a bipod. Otherwise you are forcing the gun to stay on target.
There are several positions from sitting. The most common would be a high position
with the elbows resting on the knees. The other is a lower where the legs are crossed
with both ankle bones flat on the ground. Elbows are resting on the inside of the knees. For me, this is the most solid of the 2. Again angle of the body to the target.
Turn your butt around till the gun rest on the target without forcing it.

There many different shooting positions that shooters use and modify to suet there needs and the best way I know is to try the excepted positions and adjust to your needs and comfort.

Hear is a link to the standard positions used That may help.

Basics of High Power Competition

These are all very good proven positions and with the addition of a bipod they should be rock solid.

J E CUSTOM

Also load (lean into) the bipod with your body weight for more stability and better recoil management. again plenty of examples on youtube :)

It wouldnt hurt to consider adding a tripod to your equipment. I find it a little easier to use than a fully extended bipod. It also allows me to keep a smaller bipod on the rifle for a stiffer prone position. Just a thought.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.