Sitka Gear worth it?

porkchop401

Felas , I am considering purhacing a incinerator jacket and possibly a pair of sitka outter wear pants for a annual elk hunting tip that last 8-14 days in CO during the second rifle. The possibilty of base layers are off he table due to the cost (I change daily). A jacket and pants buy them selfes will be roughly $850 , cosidering my entire trip this past year cost roughly $1400 , getting some real insight as to wheather it is worth that kind money is a must . Typically mornngs are in the 20's but single digits are not uncommon . I am looking for more warmth with less bulk or any other benefits you get from this elite line of outdoor clothing. Your thoughts please.

I am a Sitka fan BUT!!!! now I am SOLD on KUIU.... check it out.... ps it is cheaper...

I will say that yes Sitka and Kuiu are more expensive. I cant tell you if it lasts longer as my oldest set of Kuiu is only two years old and Sitka is about 4 years but it is at worst very close to if not more durable then the Predator clothing i used to use. The main things you will LOVE and what makes them stand out are:
1) The wind protection
2) The moisture wicking ability... Not getting sweat soaked like cotton clothing would
while hiking is priceless.
3) They dry VERY quickly
4) The Kuiu stuff has a water repellent that is amazing if you get caught in rain or wet
snow.
5) The Fit and articulation of Kuiu is second to none(even Sitka) It really is amazing how
much energy it actually saves you by not hindering your movement. I can honestly
tell you it is noticeable if your hiking a lot in the high country.
5) The vents along your thighs of the pants are a great feature to stay cool

Anyway I hope this helps...

Chris

used to wear sitka, never had kuiu but like the looks of it and hear good things about it. Might also try our First Light clothing, it's mostly merino wool so is warm and light and priced about the same as the others. For the record my sitka pants lasted 4 years in the mountains before ripping the knee and wore out the cuff at the bottom( I think from how my gators attach to my boots) This past year was the first with my First Light but I was impressed

I have used a pair of king of the mountain bun light for over ten hard years.They have many patches but they are my fav.The river west doesnt breath for everyday use,to hot.The regular weight King is to hot unless really cold or stand hunting,I have both.I look for used,bought some long ago and cant beleive prices now

First off join Camofire.com and their Core 4 merino base layers. Waaay better than anything Sitka sells. If you are an active hunter the Sitka or Kuiu is hard to beat. Lightweight, breathable, and great patterns. The Rivers West stuff is great too if you are NOT active or don't perspire.
Hunting here on the Oregon coast is wet and seldom gets temps below 40 during regular hunting seasons.
Since I switched to merino wool base layers and layer up with the Sitka and or Kuiu I hunt harder and longer because I'm not soaked from sweating or tired of packing my heavy rain soaked Rivers West gear. It is amazing how much excess weight I used to lug on just my clothing.
You need to shop for good buys on the Sitka..CamoFire.,ebay, Mountain archery, Santana outdoors, vision outfitters, prolite gear to name a few. The Kuiu pretty much comes from their website.
The bottom line is...if you are an active hunter the Sitka/Kuiu gear is worth every penny.

I like Sitka Gear, but I don't think I'd go with the Incinerator Jacket for 2nd rifle season. I hunted 3rd season last year at 8000' in Colorado, and I would have never taken that coat out of my pack. For $850 budget, I'd pick the Traverse zip-t, the Mountain pants and the Cloudburst jacket, which can be used for wind or rain. That still leaves $200 out of your budget for merino wool base layers (check out Redram) and an insulating layer. You can pick up an 850 down jacket from Go-Lite for $100 or a 100g Primaloft jacket from Cabelas for about the same price.

I will also throw Under Armour out there as well...their gear is fantastic and somehow cheaper than Sitka. Probably the reason that I don't own any Sitka gear...

I'm a big fan of Kuiu gear. Super comfortable, light weight, and breathes way better than Sitka in my opinion. Kuiu's fabrics seem to be more technically advanced than the Sitka if you read the reports.
Definitely go with merino wool base layers. They are warmer, lighter, and don't smell like the poly based products. I have first light and Kuiu merino and both are great.
Go with layers. Don't get a heavy coat, layer up. Some nice 850 fill down and a shell over it and you will be comfortable.

Porkchop401 here is a list of items I would take if i was you

Core crew
Traverse Zip T
90%Jacket
Mountain Pant
Traverse Bottom

This will put you in the $700 range and then next year you can buy more gear.

Take a look at the new kryptek line of gear great stuff and just like sitka but way cheaper, and great camo pattern

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.