Sinclair Expander Mandrel Die Test

h4350 and CCI41. Have also tried cci450 and rem 71/2
Well, going to assume you are capable of shooting small groups so I'd probably do another seating test at 20, 50, 80, 110, 130 off the lands with 3 rounds each. I really don't understand a low sd and poor accuracy. Never really have had that issue. I use federal primers but usually low sd means they are doing a good job.
Have you checked your crown for any damage? It doesn't take much, just a small nick can do it

If I do go this route I'm still going to turn my necks. Just enough to uniform them just for peace of mind that my necks are uniform. I currently neck turn and use a bushing die which works very well. If I weren't neck turning then I would definitely use a mandrel. The mandrel from what I understand pushes all the inconsistencies to the OD of the neck away from the bullet. Basically what I accomplish by turning and using a bushing but the option of not having to turn your necks if you wish to not do so.

I neck turn for my .284 because I have to in order to have safe chamber clearance on my brass. The only time I've really neck turned is when I have to do it. It definitely can't hurt your ammo and if you want to do it then it's worth a try. I just would wait until I was getting the groups I wanted and get the basics worked out before over complicating things. I feel like it's one of those steps that takes your ammo to the next level. I feel like mandrel sizing could be an operation or step that's super simple and straight forward, but may produce more consistent ammo. This is part of the reason I'm testing it and documenting my finding. If anything, my bullets feel better when seating and I have more control over neck tension with the different sized mandrels available. It is also a lot cheaper than bushing dies and if they do produce better results than standard dies, they might be worth getting and saving some money.

Thanks JUD. Do Sinclair and 21st Century mandrels interchange in the mandrel die bodies?
Yes they do. I personally haven't tried 21st Century mandrels, but I have read that they are interchangeable and some guys go with them to get more versatility.

If I do go this route I'm still going to turn my necks. Just enough to uniform them just for peace of mind that my necks are uniform. I currently neck turn and use a bushing die which works very well. If I weren't neck turning then I would definitely use a mandrel. The mandrel from what I understand pushes all the inconsistencies to the OD of the neck away from the bullet. Basically what I accomplish by turning and using a bushing but the option of not having to turn your necks if you wish to not do so.
Whenever I test the mandrel sizing on my .308 Norma I'm interested to see if I see a bigger difference with it since I don't neck turn for it.

Well, going to assume you are capable of shooting small groups so I'd probably do another seating test at 20, 50, 80, 110, 130 off the lands with 3 rounds each. I really don't understand a low sd and poor accuracy. Never really have had that issue. I use federal primers but usually low sd means they are doing a good job.
Have you checked your crown for any damage? It doesn't take much, just a small nick can do it
I have shot a few groups in the 3's with it @200yd with berger factory ammo, so it is capable. I think for some reason that 143 just doesnt shoot great out of it. No crown damage. Ill be trying some new bullets next.

I have shot a few groups in the 3's with it @200yd with berger factory ammo, so it is capable. I think for some reason that 143 just doesnt shoot great out of it. No crown damage. Ill be trying some new bullets next.
Try the 140 ELD-M. The ELD-X doesn't seem to be as consistent or shoot as good for a lot of people compared to the ELD Match. We shoot a lot of ELD-Ms and they all have done well except the 180 ELD in my .284 Win. I'm going to revisit them this spring and try to get them to shoot.

Try the 140 ELD-M. The ELD-X doesn't seem to be as consistent or shoot as good for a lot of people compared to the ELD Match. We shoot a lot of ELD-Ms and they all have done well except the 180 ELD in my .284 Win. I'm going to revisit them this spring and try to get them to shoot.
Did a 25 shot test with the ELD-M today. Nothing impressive. Best group was .8 Moa @200 yds. Will try tuning it in a little next time but not holding my breath. Trying 140 berger elite hunter and 142 ABLR next.

More to the point of the original post here, I am on the 3rd firing on this brass and it seems groups are getting a little worse. I wonder if annealing is what is needed. Maybe neck tension variance is affecting things.

Did a 25 shot test with the ELD-M today. Nothing impressive. Best group was .8 Moa @200 yds. Will try tuning it in a little next time but not holding my breath. Trying 140 berger elite hunter and 142 ABLR next.

More to the point of the original post here, I am on the 3rd firing on this brass and it seems groups are getting a little worse. I wonder if annealing is what is needed. Maybe neck tension variance is affecting things.
What kind of rifle is this

Also, if you don't mind, start a new thread on this and I'll help you there and so will others. I want to help you out here, but I'm trying to keep this thread on topic. Thanks buddy

What kind of rifle is this

Also, if you don't mind, start a new thread on this and I'll help you there and so will others. I want to help you out here, but I'm trying to keep this thread on topic. Thanks buddy
No prob thanks Jud, didnt mean to but got off on a tangent here!

Sinclair expander die and assort. mandrels arrive tomorrow. All lee collet dies are here now so everything is coming together. Love the new press as well....that's what winters are for up here. Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.