Expander mandrel sets

Bang4theBuck

I am looking to up my game in the area of neck tension. I currently have a single expender mandrel for 6mm that I was using for 243, then for 6Dasher, and now, maybe for 6GT. I intend to tune my next round of loads using neck tension as the variable. Does anyone know of anyone who has decent sets of expender mandrels that don't break the bank, and are available in various calibers? I am not interested in $200+ per cartridge.

Porter Precision is the most cost-efficient system I know of:

Nothing wrong with them at all, the lower cost is because the design is based on using Class ZZ pin gauges with a 0.0002" tolerance, so they can buy the pins instead of turning them. If you don't have a mic already you'll want one to get this involved with necks. When you get the pins mic them all and know exactly what you have. If something is way out of spec call them.

I use 21st Century, after buying six of their caliber packs I only had one mandrel out of spec which they replaced for free. It wasn't a mis-cut, but a mis-mark. Measured exactly spot on for the next interval up, but was marked down. Great people to work with there.

I am not interested in $200+ per cartridge.
It would be per-caliber, not cartridge. You can use the same mandrels on all of the cartridges you listed. No need for multiple identical mandrels of the same size. If you're worried about wear, mic the mandrel occasionally to check spec on it. I've never worn one out. Damaged yes, brassed up and had to clean yes, but never had a steel tool wear an appreciable amount sizing brass.

Even with carbide mandrels I've found it useful to lube the case necks inside with a scosch of resizing wax on a Q-tip. My latest thing is to size the case with no expander and just seat the bullet with no further expansion. Seems to work ok so far.

In the past I've had shoulder collapse on a couple of 6.5-06 cases when trying to expand the neck. The cases couldn't be salvaged.

21st Century great people to deal with. I use one size mandrel for all my 7mm cartridges using dry lube for the inside case mouth. Very good thread on this forum that is current in regards to dry lube. I have a mandrel that doesn't require lube but I still lube every other case or 3. Mandrel shave made I difference to me in regards to consistency.

I just received my 21 Century order. I got 5-6 mandrels, mandrel body w/ window, bottle of moly powder in media, replacement bottle of media. $200

I just started to use it so I can't provide a helpful review. However, running my Peterson 7PRC brass over the .2825" mandrel was smooth and effortless.

Measuring the run out of your seated rounds after using a bushing sizer can leade you to bang your head on the wall in frustration!

I have got my very best run out with Forster std dies, with the neck honed out at Forster($12 when you purchase the die from them), then use a mandrel. I did not come up with this method, I coped with a guy that tests bullets for Berger at 1000 yards.

Collet dies with various sizes of mandrels can also produce very, very concentric seated bullets, but this is NOT popular because it is different. Lee sells several sizes up and down from caliber in .001 increments. You can put the mandrel in a 1/4" drill and take the mandrel down to size with emory cloth and oil...slow and easy, slow and easy.

Measuring the run out of your seated rounds after using a bushing sizer can leade you to bang your head on the wall in frustration!

I have got my very best run out with Forster std dies, with the neck honed out at Forster($12 when you purchase the die from them), then use a mandrel. I did not come up with this method, I coped with a guy that tests bullets for Berger at 1000 yards.

Collet dies with various sizes of mandrels can also produce very, very concentric seated bullets, but this is NOT popular because it is different. Lee sells several sizes up and down from caliber in .001 increments. You can put the mandrel in a 1/4" drill and take the mandrel down to size with emory cloth and oil...slow and easy, slow and easy.
I am a big fan and user of lee neck collet sizing dies. My typical process includes the neck sizing, and the redding body die treatment for the full length sizing of the body and pushing the shoulders back.

McMaster Carr sells mandrels that can be used in the Lee collet sizer. Some of the mandrels have to have an O ring on them to hold them in place, and infinite sizes are available. You can double-check the Inside dia of the neck with various sizes of mandrels ensuring that you have a consistent neck grip.