Any Members Using The Sinclair Expander Die With Mandrels ?

Savage 12BVSS

Just wondering what opinions are with this neck sizing set-up compared to Lee Collet dies? Ordered Lee's and than saw the sinclairs on their site. The die and three different mandrels is under $100, that's reasonable enough to get my attention. Haven't used the lee collets yet but seem to work on the same principal. Lot of posters on here think highly of the lee's for keeping run-out to a minimum, what's the opinion of anyone that's used both. Dave

I am using the Sinclair with a neck turning mandrel (-.002 from bullet diameter). I am using a FL Redding die with expander stem removed. The advantage of the Collet die would be that you wouldn't have to run in a full length die to get neck sized down. I really like the Sinclair however. I can see advantages and disadvantages to both.

I'm new to reloading and look forward to seeing what everyone says as well.

Steve

I have used Lee collet dies extensively. I have not used the Sinclair's. I can vouch for the Lee collet dies being able to produce accurate ammo. If the Lee collet die doesn't produce a concentric round, it's usually something else besides the die itself. The only thing I have altered on some of my Lee dies is the mandrel. I have take the diameter down on a couple of them inorder to get more neck tension. Lots of folks use a Lee collet die to neck size. Then use a Redding body die to lightly bump the shoulder if needed. Some people will tell you this is an antiquated method, maybe so. But it works good for me when I don't want to spend $300 on a set of dies.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.