sinclair acculab scale

pjracer

Was browsing through the catalog and saw that this scale measured out to 1/100 place. Is this overkill or would it help to build more accurate loads? I have a rcbs chargemaster powder dispenser and scale combo already.

Got a Chargemaster a while back. Best thing I ever did.

In fact power was out on the weekend and I was too lazy to hand weigh the charges, so didn't get to the range :)

Now I'm not saying my loads are up to scratch, but the idea at leat is to find the area where small variations in charges aren't so relevant to accuracy - i.e. a "node" where if your Chargemaster is out a touch your bullet won't be a touch out of the group.

For the effort involved it would need to be really necessary for me to use - for hunting anyway.

"Was browsing through the catalog and saw that this scale measured out to 1/100 place. Is this overkill or would it help to build more accurate loads? "

The more I learn about reloading, the less critical I realise precise powder charges are. Powder is organic chemistry, that's not precise. Oue cases, bullets and primers are made by the tens of thousands.

BR shooters don't weight charges at all but they shoot one hole groups. (of course, they don't use our common reloader measures either, but still...) If we stay within .1 gr, more or less, on a good shooting load we are "dead on." Anything tighter is simply comtemplating our belly button and will never be seen on the target!

It is impossible for us to be "watch maker precise" with any two consecutive cartridges, nor do they need be so precise to be as accurate as they can be. Good components, loading methods, tools and technique are much more important than precisely weighed charges.

That excellant scale is overkill.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.