SIG Kilo 2400 with Applied Ballistics!!

I agree some, where I hunt there's trees and thickets etc, few weeks back i could barely make out a deer that was at 469 with the leica 1600b. "No snow" btw.
Yes I can range a tree or something close but, at 7x I could barely make out his body amongst thee elements.

Tagging in here.

I'm very happy with my G7 gen 2 other than it's HUGE. Something smaller would be welcome if it can give me the results I enjoy with the G7.

Maybe this is a stupid question but do you get the ballistic results in the SK2400 or are they on your iPhone.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

~Robert

Thanks ElkDaddy :cool:

I just put in my pre-order.

Now I'll start taking pre-orders on the sale of my ten month old GunWerks G7 gen 2!

:)

~Robert

I placed a pre order for the 2400. Given a long career in the analytical instrument industry I can't resist acquiring , or at least trying new technology in rangefinders. The 2400 certainly looks appealing, but I do have some reservations about the AB ballistics software(IOS). I'm not a fan of the aerodynamic jump software in the AB Ballistic program and find that I have to make sure I have a zero values entered for wind to get the elevation outputs to match my very proven outputs and long range results when using Shooter/Terrapin/Kestral or my Gunwerks G7, neither of which have algorithms for aerodynamic jump. While I can live with this work around, it would be nice to be able to turn it off like you can with SD and CE. While I fully understand the theory behind aerodynamic jump and how it can effect the bullets flight path, I think there are too many variables, and the softwares correction values as it effects elevation can overcompensate, producing a miss. Just me, but I would prefer to deal with it myself for my hunting/shooting needs. I generally deal with wind corrections independent of any Ballistic program anyway. All said, I'm anticipating the advantages of the 2400 outweigh this concern and potential workarounds.

For those who haven't seen the display, this is only one of the outputs to choose from.

e9ar2s.jpg

I placed a pre order for the 2400. Given a long career in the analytical instrument industry I can't resist acquiring , or at least trying new technology in rangefinders. The 2400 certainly looks appealing, but I do have some reservations about the AB ballistics software(IOS). I'm not a fan of the aerodynamic jump software in the AB Ballistic program and find that I have to make sure I have a zero values entered for wind to get the elevation outputs to match my very proven outputs and long range results when using Shooter/Terrapin/Kestral or my Gunwerks G7, neither of which have algorithms for aerodynamic jump. While I can live with this work around, it would be nice to be able to turn it off like you can with SD and CE. While I fully understand the theory behind aerodynamic jump and how it can effect the bullets flight path, I think there are too many variables, and the softwares correction values as it effects elevation can overcompensate, producing a miss. Just me, but I would prefer to deal with it myself for my hunting/shooting needs. I generally deal with wind corrections independent of any Ballistic program anyway. All said, I'm anticipating the advantages of the 2400 outweigh this concern and potential workarounds.

When I first started using the Kestrel AB it took some very open minded usage as I had a lot of solid proven data but it was much like going from Exbal to Shooter, once I started reworking my data it was a whole new dynamic, the new AB has been much the same, I gained more yardage in more condition!
I'm hopeful in the 2400 more for the laser, we've seen so many poor ranges from the G7 in the mountains here I will not field one and many guys have sold them of, so far the Kilo 2000 ranges much better than the G7 so the improved 2400 should be a definite imorovement.

When I first started using the Kestrel AB it took some very open minded usage as I had a lot of solid proven data but it was much like going from Exbal to Shooter, once I started reworking my data it was a whole new dynamic, the new AB has been much the same, I gained more yardage in more condition!
I'm hopeful in the 2400 more for the laser, we've seen so many poor ranges from the G7 in the mountains here I will not field one and many guys have sold them of, so far the Kilo 2000 ranges much better than the G7 so the improved 2400 should be a definite imorovement.

That good to hear. I have had pretty good success with the G7 with quite a few successful kills on game to 1200 yards. But, I'm very open to improvement, and a change in approach.

Im in the market for a new RF,

but is it just me because nobody else chimed their opinion in about these rangefinders only being 7x?

Come on, I'm the only 1 who has a hard time ranging a deer around 500 yards with only 7 power ?? i get ranges but I can hardly tell im on the deer unless their in wide open with snow. VERY hesitant to purchase a rangefinder with 7 x.

...is it just me because nobody else chimed their opinion in about these rangefinders only being 7x?

Good question so I checked my other RFs and ones I've owned in the past:

My G7 BR2 is 7x
My Leica 1000 is 7x
The Vortex 1000 I used to have was 6x

So far I have not noticed an issue for my old eyes. I'm not saying it isn't problematic for you or others but apparently I've never noticed to look it up.

I love the G7 frankly, it's amazing but for size it's just a lot to haul around; it doesn't fit in my belt packs on my pack, takes up more room than my 10x42 binos and that makes it a PIA for MY style(s) of hunting.

~Robert

Im in the market for a new RF,

but is it just me because nobody else chimed their opinion in about these rangefinders only being 7x?

Come on, I'm the only 1 who has a hard time ranging a deer around 500 yards with only 7 power ?? i get ranges but I can hardly tell im on the deer unless their in wide open with snow. VERY hesitant to purchase a rangefinder with 7 x.

I don't have an issue with my G7 at 7X which I think is s good balance between a decent field of view for fast target acquisition, and the ability to range deer sized game well past 1000 yards. I do struggle with my Terrapin at 5x, and it's smallish ranging circle.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.