Sierra Gamechangers 165 in .280 AI

Tandin93

Looking for data on these bullets specifically. Trying them with RL23 and 4831SC. Any help would be appreciated! Also, if you have used these in a .280AI and have feedback, feel free to leave that as well! Thanks!

Not specifically, but, Hodgdon lists 280 Ackley for a 168 Sierra and H4831. That should give you a starting point. Or, you could call Sierra. They may have some data.
As far as I know, they have not published any data for the gamechangers yet.
Pretty typical of they way management has been running things over there for a long while now.

Last edited:
I have tried them in a 7saum. I believe I ran them with 58.5 of h4350. It was hot. But I went other direction with bullets. Not impressed with their performance at all. Shot good .5 groups but dropped a buck standing at 200yds. Layer there. Dropped through a draw to go see him. Got there and he was gone. Tracked over 600yds with minimal blood. Never found him. Next year did the similar on a big mule buck. 3 holes in him before he was done. I believe mine were just over 3k fps and a 165 class bullet at those speeds I expect better. So I shot remaining at steel and will never look back. Just my experience but have never had anything close in a rifle before. 2 deer in 2 years with bad results is enough for me.

Adam

I have tried them in a 7saum. I believe I ran them with 58.5 of h4350. It was hot. But I went other direction with bullets. Not impressed with their performance at all. Shot good .5 groups but dropped a buck standing at 200yds. Layer there. Dropped through a draw to go see him. Got there and he was gone. Tracked over 600yds with minimal blood. Never found him. Next year did the similar on a big mule buck. 3 holes in him before he was done. I believe mine were just over 3k fps and a 165 class bullet at those speeds I expect better. So I shot remaining at steel and will never look back. Just my experience but have never had anything close in a rifle before. 2 deer in 2 years with bad results is enough for me.

Adam
I'm shooting 160 Federal Trophy Bonded Tipp bullets in 280AI, over 61 gr of Re26, Federal gold medal match at 3050. Took an Aoudad in Texas at 203 yards. It absolutely hammered him. Was told they are very tough but he was down about 10 yard from where he was standing and that's because he fell off a ledge. When we caped him out the chest damage on both sides was extensive. Granted perfect shot placement but pass through with excellent performance all the way through.

I'll second mudygmc's note. I tried GameChangers in my 6.5/.284 XP 100 handgun. Accurate, but TOO TUFF. Poor expansion, less internal damage than BTs & PTs. Looks like Sierra wanted to do Nosler Accubonds, but they didn't get it right. ABs perform much better. Did a 300# bear this year with my .375/.284 XP 100 handgun & 260 gr. AB at 156 yards. Had 4" of internal damage, heavy blood, only ran 15 yards. ABs are my #1 bullet in my handguns in US & Africa. Literally thousands of kills with excellent performance.

I'm shooting 160 Federal Trophy Bonded Tipp bullets in 280AI, over 61 gr of Re26, Federal gold medal match at 3050. Took an Aoudad in Texas at 203 yards. It absolutely hammered him. Was told they are very tough but he was down about 10 yard from where he was standing and that's because he fell off a ledge. When we caped him out the chest damage on both sides was extensive. Granted perfect shot placement but pass through with excellent performance all the way through.
Where'd you score those 160 Federal Trophy Bonded Bullets?

I just got back from an elk hunt with my first experience with the tipped gameking "gamechanger." Using the 165gr in my short barreled 7 saum, pushing them about 2965fps. Shot my cow at 462yd through the shoulder, and recovered it just under the offside hide. She stumbled around for a few seconds and went down. Good penetration, quick kill, held together well, shoot well, not much not to like so far. But would like to kill something up close to get a better overall feeling. Retained weight was 118 grain, very accubond-ish results which is exactly what I was hoping for. Been a long time fan of the accubond but wanted to give these a try with the much higher bc. The gamechanger is definitely the best "high bc cup and core" bullet I have tried so far, but my experience is limited.

I have found 7SAUM and .280AI to be almost identical.

With that being said, I think more depends on brass.

With Nosler brass, I have found 58.0-58.5gr of RL23 to be about max in both with the 165 TGK.

With Peterson/ADG brass, I drop about 1gr for max loads.

The 165TGK has a bit longer bearing surface length than a 168 VLD, so velocities will be slightly less. Same with most TGK/SMK when compared with similar Bergers. But I have found them to be extremely accurate and work very well on game. I just wish Sierra would step up production.

Here are some links you can find info.
I use the Nosler load data 95% of the time because they test numerous powders but they are Nosler bullets and not Sierra. However, after checking all bullet properties that matter the Nosler and Sierra bullets are almost identical.
Nosler just provides so much more information than any of the others.
The most accurate powder they tested with the Ackley .280 is a Alliant PP 4000-MR.

Here is a picture of the bullet I removed from the cow. I will add that in the process of digging it out in the dark the lead did separate from the jacket. However I know for certain it was in tact in the animal.
The 7 saum load data is on their app. As well as the chart that midsouth has floating around for the tgk. I do have an extended freebore in mine, and am loaded long accordingly.
I do like nosler load data where it fits, however they don't have a ton of options for powders. For example on the 7 saum and certain weights they don't even have data for the most common powders that people are using.

20231120_192036.jpg

Not specifically, but, Hodgdon lists 280 Ackley for a 168 Sierra and H4831. That should give you a starting point. Or, you could call Sierra. They may have some data.
As far as I know, they have not published any data for the gamechangers yet.
Pretty typical of they way management has been running things over there for a long while now.
Actually, the Sierra manual dies show loads for the 165 , but it's limited on powder selection IMO.