165 gr. Sierra Gamechanger in 7mm08

My barrel is a 1 in 8 twist, Shilen ratchet rifling (in a Savage action). Originally it was made for 180 SMK's. I had two made at 26" and cut one down to 21" for the 165's. Just to expand, the day I ran the RS Big Game test it was 85 degrees and about 2800 feet of altitude. No pressure signs with 45 grains of BG using necked down (and reamed) LC brass. Tula LR primers. 2706 fps was the average. Definitely work your way up. Every barrel responds differently. Later this month I will be trying Varget, CFE 223 and Leverevoltion. Trying a few on the faster side to see how they work with the shorter barrel. Hybrid100V, Norma 204 and RE19 were a bit slow (Hybrid100V was great for 180's with the 26" barrel). Once I settle on a powder for the 165's I'll run an OCW test to determine an accuracy load.

Well I switched it up and tried the 162 gr. Eldx since the Sierra tech had me discouraged with my 1-9.5" barrel. (Hornady recommends 9.5" or faster twist) I was finding the same experience with this bullet too, until I tried it just .005" off the lands.

40.2 gr. Gave me 2682 fps average with an ES of 11 fps and 1/2 moa.
40.5 gr. Gave me also 2682 fps average with a 4 out of 5 shots registering 2688 with one coming in at 2661? Seems there always has to be one odd ball. And that group opened up a bit too.

Perhaps I needed to try the GameChanger a bit closer to the lands?

Tagging in , I've not tryed the 165 Sierra GC in my 708 but I'd not be scared to either ,have shot the Tipped Sierra Match King 160's and was Very impressed ,Lilja cm1/9tw 27 inch #3 conture mated to my Browning BBR action in a piller/glass beded wood factory stock ,above reload cronoed 2780 fps sub .5 moa at 625 yds and just under 1moa at 300 yds my col 2.800/2.807 ish .to Quote a fellow member " Don't believe what everyone says......do your own testing and always work up " sage advice for sure !, my 708 thinks she's a 270 WCF ....lol but love em both ,Cheers !!! ;):D:cool:

Well I switched it up and tried the 162 gr. Eldx since the Sierra tech had me discouraged with my 1-9.5" barrel. (Hornady recommends 9.5" or faster twist) I was finding the same experience with this bullet too, until I tried it just .005" off the lands.

40.2 gr. Gave me 2682 fps average with an ES of 11 fps and 1/2 moa.
40.5 gr. Gave me also 2682 fps average with a 4 out of 5 shots registering 2688 with one coming in at 2661? Seems there always has to be one odd ball. And that group opened up a bit too.

Perhaps I needed to try the GameChanger a bit closer to the lands?
Please try the SGC closer to the lands and post results. I have some loaded for my .308 which are ten thou off but have had the chance to put them on paper. I was actually questioning my seating depth

Please try the SGC closer to the lands and post results. I have some loaded for my .308 which are ten thou off but have had the chance to put them on paper. I was actually questioning my seating depth

I would like to try that but I've used them all up and doubt I'll buy more since I've moved on to the Eld-x's and found a good load with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts