Velocity ladder with 165 gr. Sierra Gamechanger and the 7mm08

From what I see H414 and (same as) W760 should also give you some pretty good velocities. You should be able to use 168 data for the 165's as well.

I thought about h414 but I've seen temp sense issues with h414 so I tend to steer clear of that one. I've been looking at 168 & 162 load data and kind of split the diff between them.

Yes I'm with you on this, I plan to run some more at the 40.9 and see how accuracy is. I was hoping for a little more velocity, but if that's where the accuracy is I'm good with that.

As for the recommended max, well I could not find any published load data with this bullet and powder combo so I'm winging this based on similar components.
Best of luck to you. Like I said before, your graph depicted a good flat spot. Be interested what you get for ES and SD when you test further.

This has been kind of weird, I am not sure what's going on? When I ran the ladder test with incrementing the powder charge up 2/10 of a grain, my groups were better than they are now that I started testing for groups? I noticed some pressure signs were there at the top of the ladder, but at 40.9 things seemed pretty good. Then when I tested for a group size there it was all over the place, like a 4" group.

Early on in my testing I had a 1/2" group with this bullet, but the velocity was only around 2500 fps. That charge was 39.5 grains I believe.

So today I backed off to 40.5 gr. And tried adjusting the seating depth in 15/1000 increments for four different loads. This time I got some better Es & sd numbers but the groups are still bad, around 2 1/2". I'm going to have to ponder on this a bit and decide where to go from here?

This has been kind of weird, I am not sure what's going on? When I ran the ladder test with incrementing the powder charge up 2/10 of a grain, my groups were better than they are now that I started testing for groups? I noticed some pressure signs were there at the top of the ladder, but at 40.9 things seemed pretty good. Then when I tested for a group size there it was all over the place, like a 4" group.

Early on in my testing I had a 1/2" group with this bullet, but the velocity was only around 2500 fps. That charge was 39.5 grains I believe.

So today I backed off to 40.5 gr. And tried adjusting the seating depth in 15/1000 increments for four different loads. This time I got some better Es & sd numbers but the groups are still bad, around 2 1/2". I'm going to have to ponder on this a bit and decide where to go from here?

What primer are you using?

I can't remember early on what, or if, you said what the twist rate was in your rifle. That 7mm 165 GameChanger is a fairly high BC Bullet. I'd think it needs at least a
1/9 twist rate. I had a similar issue with a 25/06 several years ago. It shot .5 MOA at 100 all day long with a 100 grain bullet, RE-22 powder. I tried some 115 grain bullets, I think they were Nosler, and it wouldn't hold 4" at 100. Went back to the 100 grain bullets and .50 MOA returned. The twist rate(1/10) in that rifle just wouldn't handle the heavier bullets. Just thinking out loud here. Best of luck! It can be a frustrating search but once you find it....it will all be worthwhile!

I can't remember early on what, or if, you said what the twist rate was in your rifle. That 7mm 165 GameChanger is a fairly high BC Bullet. I'd think it needs at least a
1/9 twist rate. I had a similar issue with a 25/06 several years ago. It shot .5 MOA at 100 all day long with a 100 grain bullet, RE-22 powder. I tried some 115 grain bullets, I think they were Nosler, and it wouldn't hold 4" at 100. Went back to the 100 grain bullets and .50 MOA returned. The twist rate(1/10) in that rifle just wouldn't handle the heavier bullets. Just thinking out loud here. Best of luck! It can be a frustrating search but once you find it....it will all be worthwhile!

It's a 9 1/2" twist. I'm starting to think my problem is likely the jerk behind the trigger. Today I loaded some more out to 2.980" , where 2.988" is just at the lands. I was getting frustrated again with the way it was shooting and I decided to change the way my trigger pull happens. Up to this point I have been setting up on target then slowly adding pressure until the surprise boom happens. But when I get on target and make a more deliberate pull of the trigger I put my last three into a 1/2" group. Thus rifle is new to me and the trigger is different than I'm used to. It has zero felt creep, and I mean zero! So I'm going to work on this some more and see what i can do with it.

Btw I had an ES of 21 and SD of 7 at 40.9 gr.

It's a 9 1/2" twist. I'm starting to think my problem is likely the jerk behind the trigger. Today I loaded some more out to 2.980" , where 2.988" is just at the lands. I was getting frustrated again with the way it was shooting and I decided to change the way my trigger pull happens. Up to this point I have been setting up on target then slowly adding pressure until the surprise boom happens. But when I get on target and make a more deliberate pull of the trigger I put my last three into a 1/2" group. Thus rifle is new to me and the trigger is different than I'm used to. It has zero felt creep, and I mean zero! So I'm going to work on this some more and see what i can do with it.

Btw I had an ES of 21 and SD of 7 at 40.9 gr.
Roger that

Have you checked your action screws and scope screws to make sure nothing loosened up? 2" groups kind of tells me something else may be wrong.

Have you checked your action screws and scope screws to make sure nothing loosened up? 2" groups kind of tells me something else may be wrong.

I did check that as well, in fact I took the stock off and inspected everything with the recoil lug. All looked good and then I torqued it down to Tikka specs.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.