165 gr. Sierra Gamechanger in 7mm08

I've used a couple of 7-08's for a few years and feel People fails to see the full potential of the cartridge

For the heavies +160 weight Alliant MR2000, Reloader 19,H414 and similar burning powders seems to work well. You can in normal barells approach MV of 2700f/s with 160/162's. It's plenty for up to roughly 400y and still maintain decent expansion.
Loaded to 2,9-2,95" you can normally add 1-1,5grs to the book max loads and still not get into dangerous pressure territory.

ON medium game I landed on 154 Hornady Interbond ahead of 50grs of Re19.
Used on everything from small deer => Moose out of both a Sako 85 Finnlight and Barrett Fieldcraft.
A 7-08 is great medium game cartridge and when going back a few years we did Shot International Silhuett with it.
168's out of a 7-08 was plenty for tipping over even the hardest set ram @500

Hey Sauer, where did you shoot Silhouette? I grew up in Sonora Mexico shooting Silhouette both Smallbore and High Power, started with the 308 with the 168gr Sierra's and then changed to the 7mm-08 also with thw 168gr, later on went with the 150gr Sierra's and had better results on the Rams. I was lucky enough to go to Raron NM for a couple of Nationals and still shoot some every now and then.

Ive shot 160 Noslers in the 7-08 as that was my go too load. Im sorry I cannot remember the load. I shot elk and deer with it and it hammers them. Shot one Rosy bull stem to stern with that load twice at 70 yards. Longest shot on an elk was in the 200's. I wouldn't be afraid to go farther though.

Good luck

I just finished working up a 165 grain Game Changer load for a 7-08, 21" Shilen barrel. 45 grains of Big Game was getting me 2706 fps (measured with a Magnetospeed). 44.7 grains - 2649 fps, 44.4 grains - 2605 fps. No pressure signs up through 45 grains. Using 308 LC brass necked down to 7mm. Hybrid100V, which I use for my 180 SMK's in a 26" barrel, was disappointing with the 165's in the 21" barrel. I also tried RL 19 and Norma 204 (also left over from 180 trials). These were equally slow (2490-2530 fps approximately). Big Game was the big winner of the day. I would say that with a longer barrel, Hybrid100V may work out. Also, I have heard that Varget may get close to 2700's. That's next on my list to try.

I ve shot 40.8 grs of Varget with 162 AMax and get 2650 and good accuracy. Work up as its right near the top. Could be a good powder in that 21" tube.

Have a tikka action with a bartlien bbl loves the 162 eldm's&x's in front of varget on my 7-08, with a long action mag, they also chamber in my win fthrwt 70 and shoot very well to 4-600, haven't gone farther but I have a cow tag this fall with there name on it, haven't went heavier but I think the 162 is plenty for paper or wapiti

Thanks for the votes for Varget. I'll definitely try it out. Been playing out to 1200 yards with the 180 SMKs for a couple of years. 180 g SMK "pointed", 43 grains of Hybrid100V, Tula LR primer, LC brass = about 2500 fps out of the 21" barrel, 2630 fps out of 26". The idea behind the 21" barrel (also fluted) was to drop some weight and make the rifle easier to field carry. LRI in SD did the barrel work (cut down from 26" and aggressively fluted). I wanted to keep velocity up but still get a high BC for the weight and get out to 1200 yards staying supersonic - therein the switch to 165 GC's. Also, I liked what I saw on Johnny's reloading Youtube site on the new GameChangers. I think I found a nice combo for long range work.

Glad to see a Lil Love for the Game Changer. Unless I'm missing something, it's got potential. Please post updates.

I just finished working up a 165 grain Game Changer load for a 7-08, 21" Shilen barrel. 45 grains of Big Game was getting me 2706 fps (measured with a Magnetospeed). 44.7 grains - 2649 fps, 44.4 grains - 2605 fps. No pressure signs up through 45 grains. Using 308 LC brass necked down to 7mm. Hybrid100V, which I use for my 180 SMK's in a 26" barrel, was disappointing with the 165's in the 21" barrel. I also tried RL 19 and Norma 204 (also left over from 180 trials). These were equally slow (2490-2530 fps approximately). Big Game was the big winner of the day. I would say that with a longer barrel, Hybrid100V may work out. Also, I have heard that Varget may get close to 2700's. That's next on my list to try.

What is your barrel twist rate? I'm having a tough time getting any consistent groups with my 9 1/2" twist with these. Despite what I think is a good load with an Es 16 and sd of 6, but it still shoots 1 1/2" at 100 yards. So I emailed Sierra who then tells me they won't stabilize in my 9 1/2 twist? Even though there was an article from Rifleshooter that quoted a Sierra tech as saying you don't need a fast twist custom barrel to shoot the GameChanger ? But I think it's true, I probably do need the faster twist?

Have a tikka action with a bartlien bbl loves the 162 eldm's&x's in front of varget on my 7-08, with a long action mag, they also chamber in my win fthrwt 70 and shoot very well to 4-600, haven't gone farther but I have a cow tag this fall with there name on it, haven't went heavier but I think the 162 is plenty for paper or wapiti

I'm about to give the Eldx's a try as well since I can't seem to get the GameChanger to fly right! If you don't mind sharing, what twist rate is your barrel?

Don't have any experience about the original post--but I do like the game changer bullet..got a really nice load worked up for 6.5x47 Lapua with the 130 grain game changer

Attachments

• IMG_2899.JPG
    IMG_2899.JPG
    349.8 KB · Views: 102
I'm about to give the Eldx's a try as well since I can't seem to get the GameChanger to fly right! If you don't mind sharing, what twist rate is your barrel?

Are the loads you are trying with the Game Changer on the hot side? Maybe lighten them up a bit. I've had to sometimes dial back a bit on the powder charge with heavier bullets. Sometimes trying to push them too fast just won't work.

Are the loads you are trying with the Game Changer on the hot side? Maybe lighten them up a bit. I've had to sometimes dial back a bit on the powder charge with heavier bullets. Sometimes trying to push them too fast just won't work.

Not really, I had backed off from a little over 2700 fps to 2650 which was where the best ES and SD (16 &6) numbers came in at, yet the groups were not very good.

Not really, I had backed off from a little over 2700 fps to 2650 which was where the best ES and SD (16 &6) numbers came in at, yet the groups were not very good.

That's still up there, maybe go down to 2,550 or 2,500? I have used 38.1gr of IMR-4895 with the 168gr Sierra Matchking HPBT and it grouped 0.24" at 100 yds. On another rifle it was 42.0gr of IMR-4350 and had similar results. Both were just over 2,500 fps at the muzzle

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.