Sierra Boattails or Hornady A Max?

AKBman

At ranges less than 600 yards, or even 700 yards for that matter, is there any clear advantage to shooting the 208gr A Max in my 300 Win Mag as opposed to a 180gr Sierra Boattail in the Gameking line? It really looks like the advantages don't really show up until you hit the 800 yard mark. I know for hunting, I wouldn't use the A Max on anything but coyotes at less than 600 yards, they are just too fragile and really grenade at ranges less than that. Just trying to get my long range shooting back in hopes of drawing an Oryx tag next year, and maybe getting back to Alaska for a caribou hunt. I'm getting over 3000 fps with the 180s, and close to 2800 with the 208s.

Dave

I think at the ranges you are expecting the game king would be more versatile for the very reason you describe the amax would be risky at close ranges..

At ranges less than 600 yards, or even 700 yards for that matter, is there any clear advantage to shooting the 208gr A Max in my 300 Win Mag as opposed to a 180gr Sierra Boattail in the Gameking line? It really looks like the advantages don't really show up until you hit the 800 yard mark. I know for hunting, I wouldn't use the A Max on anything but coyotes at less than 600 yards, they are just too fragile and really grenade at ranges less than that. Just trying to get my long range shooting back in hopes of drawing an Oryx tag next year, and maybe getting back to Alaska for a caribou hunt. I'm getting over 3000 fps with the 180s, and close to 2800 with the 208s.

Dave

With the sectional density of the 208 AMAX, there is almost no risk of overexpansion yielding poor penetration at 2800 fps and down.

That bullet should give good terminal performance from 2800 fps down to 1100 fps. It also has awesomely little wind drift. Test the wind drift side by side with the Sierra the next time you have a 10-15 mph cross wind at the range. It's smaller than it should be based on BC alone. To me, the wind drift is the biggest advantage of the 208 AMAX.

Definitely, actually, for elk and Oryx I would choose a little stouter bullet, just because for both, there is the possibility of a shot at less than 100 yards. The Sierras fly great for me, but I know from experience they aren't the toughest bullet out there. I have reasonably good luck with Speer cup and core bullets, they are very effective on caribou, along with the Sierra bullets.

I have not taken game with either so I can only comment on engineering and accuracy.

Looking at the construction quality of both as I have both in many calibers and of course here in Crazyfornia we can only hunt with copper.

I do not believe the Gameking will maintain the accuracy desired at +400 yards. They never have for me. These are now plinkers.

I have shot the A-Max to to 1000yrds in 260 Rem (140grns) and 300WSM (208grns).

Speaking only to accuracy, I would trust the A-Max for a cleaner kill at any distance except sub 100yrds where accuracy just won't matter but the soft point might.

I have not hunted with the 208s, wind yesterday was blowing at 12-15(stronger I suspect out in the middle of space), I was shooting 461 yard across a canyon, the 208s were being pushed about 3", the 180s about 2" more. I was just plinking, so shooting at ranged rocks with flat surfaces so I could mark my hits, even though I couldn't get to them. The rounds yesterday were only loaded to 2700, trying MagPro with the 208s for the first time, starting low and working up, some of the easiest shooting rounds I've loaded. I really appreciate the inputs, I know that the 300 Win Mag is relatively slow in the 30 cal magnum world, but I have been shooting it for so many years now I am loathe to change, even as I am trying to extend my hunting distance to 6-700 yards. Toughest part seems to be learning to move the scope adjustments the required amount at different distances, completely blew it at 521 yards, which is as far as I could get my *** rangefinder to range. All in all, I had more fun yesterday than I have had at the local range in years, range tops out at 300, much more fun shooting prone of my hunting pack at over a quarter mile than sitting at a bench punching paper.

I have not hunted with the 208s, wind yesterday was blowing at 12-15(stronger I suspect out in the middle of space), I was shooting 461 yard across a canyon, the 208s were being pushed about 3", the 180s about 2" more. I was just plinking, so shooting at ranged rocks with flat surfaces so I could mark my hits, even though I couldn't get to them. The rounds yesterday were only loaded to 2700, trying MagPro with the 208s for the first time, starting low and working up, some of the easiest shooting rounds I've loaded. I really appreciate the inputs, I know that the 300 Win Mag is relatively slow in the 30 cal magnum world, but I have been shooting it for so many years now I am loathe to change, even as I am trying to extend my hunting distance to 6-700 yards. Toughest part seems to be learning to move the scope adjustments the required amount at different distances, completely blew it at 521 yards, which is as far as I could get my *** rangefinder to range. All in all, I had more fun yesterday than I have had at the local range in years, range tops out at 300, much more fun shooting prone of my hunting pack at over a quarter mile than sitting at a bench punching paper.

You can learn a tremendous amount with the kind of shooting you were doing yesterday. I wouldn't feel disadvantaged at all with launching the 208 AMAX at 2700 fps out to 800 yards. There is no need to aspire to the ultra mag type of velocities. We've loosened some primer pockets chasing 2800 fps with some high BC bullets and powders, but we got to 2800 fps comfortably with H1000, the 208 AMAX and a 26" barrel.

But I think your path to success this year is more likely to spend your time, effort, and money solving your rangefinder issue and practicing with it in the field with the load you already have. We had an older generation rangefinder let us down one morning when the elk showed up and we needed to range the critter looking into the rising sun. Working through the process of ranging, adjusting the scope and shooting in the field under varying conditions is much more valuable than an extra 100 fps. Not sure where you are, but we've enjoyed some long range precision rifle contests in Colorado that put is through the scope adjustment paces under mild time pressure and really improved out field work here.

I am going to try an acquire a Leica 1600 at Christmas time if at all possible, I bought this Nikon 550 before I really knew much about range finders. The load I am shooting now is 4 grains under max for a 210gr VLD, I am pretty comfortable where it is at, as I know that each bullets is a law unto itself when it comes to loading. I am waiting to hear back from Accurate on suggested minimum and maximum loads for MagPro and the 208 A Max. My Ruger only has a 24" tube, but it has always been a sub MOA shooter with 180 and 200 grain bullets, I spent a lot of time and patience working the trigger to an acceptable hunting level, and it breaks much cleaner now. I have in the neighborhood of 400 rounds down the tube with this one. I figure practice is really the only thing that will improve my scope handling abilities, it is low powered by long distance standards, a VX III 2.5-8X36 I bought when I purchased the rifle in Alaska, wanted the low end for grizzly, which it worked well on. Thanks again for the input and the encouragement, I learn a lot just from reading here.

Dave

AKB, what is your mag lenght you can load to? I'd like to run some numbers on QL. for fun.

My magazine measures 3.415 from fore to aft, so not sure the max length I could really get away with, I think I have loaded to 3.390 before. I normally load to 3.340 as the book calls for.

Just for S&Gs, I'm going to take my 375 Ruger out to the same spot and see how it does. I imagine it will be tough with the incredible .250 BC of the Hornady solids I have loaded. I need to get some more Sierra boattails for it too. Should be fun, maybe a bit frustrating, but spotting hits should be no problem with the 300gr hammers at 2600. I think I could get this one to 600 as well.

I shoot a 300WM with 208 amax's. In my rifle the 208 is crazy accurate, so I would definitely give the accuracy nod to the amax. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot an oryx with an amax - just don't aim for the shoulder. But I can tell you a good broadside vitals shot w/ a 208 will put any deer or elk on the ground with authority inside 700y. The 168 amax is for sure deer killer in a 308!

I shoot a 300WM with 208 amax's. In my rifle the 208 is crazy accurate, so I would definitely give the accuracy nod to the amax. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot an oryx with an amax - just don't aim for the shoulder. But I can tell you a good broadside vitals shot w/ a 208 will put any deer or elk on the ground with authority inside 700y. The 168 amax is for sure deer killer in a 308!

I'm glad to hear that others are having the same awesome accuracy results with the amax's as i've had! Can't wait to see how they do on deer this fall in my .300wm.

I'm using the 162 amax in my 7wsm and I don't get the whole "too fragile" theory. I understand you wouldn't want to try and shoot an elk in the shoulder, but I've had nothing but excellent results with the amax in LR shooting and hunting situations, granted I'm not the type to shoot through bone on purpose. I've taken 4 deer at anywhere from 46 yards to 780 yards and black bear at 60 yards with none going over 10 yards. All 4 deer died where they stood, the bear ran 10 yards and piled up. I would shoot these heavier amax bullets over an SST (hunting bullet) any day of the week.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.