A-Max or Sierra Match king for whitetails?

canine

Hi guys,
I was wondering which round you would recomend for LRH whitetails only. I am shooting a 300 WSM and was looking at either the 175 Gr. SMK or the 178 Gr. A-Max. Which would you recommend? Thanks

Hi guys,
I was wondering which round you would recomend for LRH whitetails only. I am shooting a 300 WSM and was looking at either the 175 Gr. SMK or the 178 Gr. A-Max. Which would you recommend? Thanks
smk's work great on deer. I like bergers personally for my 300 wsm. I've taken a deer w/ a smk, and it worked well. I have never tried the a-max, sorry.

Thanks for the reply. I do not reload as of yet, or I would certainly be using the berger bullets. Cant find anyone that loads them commercially

Thanks for the reply. I do not reload as of yet, or I would certainly be using the berger bullets. Cant find anyone that loads them commercially
you have to ask for it through Berger. The j4 jackets work really well on game.
I have some load data for you, but it wont post right in the thread.

Last edited:
A-Maxs have really impressed me, I use the 162gr in my 280ackley on deer with great results.
have heard of the 208gr 30cal ones being used on big sambar stags at close range.

I have very limited experience with the SMK's on game but most here seem to be satisfied with the large bore SMK's.

I have, however, shot a number of whitetails with the 162 A-Max from a 7STW. On shots out to 500yds the A-Max is not only accurate & flat shooting (high BC) but its terminal performance is impressive. Lung shots result in animals dropping within 20-30yds. High shoulder shots result in DRT kills. Many shooters have had excellent results with the A-Max at much farther distances, I just haven't had those shot opportunities so can not relay any personal experiences beyond 500yds.

I shoot both but in different calibers. I have a .338-.378 that I push a 300g. Sierra Match King at 3073 fps. Furthest deer kill was 1515 yards with a shot that took both lungs. Deer stood there hunched up for about 1 minute, then stumbled backwards and died. Upon retrieval of the deer and after skinning, the 300g. SMK poked a small hole the size of my pinky in one side and out the other. The bullet placement was good but without striking any bone the bullet zipped straight through without opening up. I've shot several deer in the 1000-1400 yard range and have had similiar results. If you catch some bone the bullet will frag inside and really tear things up though. I shot a 154 lbs. PA black bear at 550 with a 7x300 using 162g A-max, bear ran about 20 yards and piled up. The internal damage was amazing. The year before we killed a 130 lbs. Pa black bear at 500 with a 300 Ultra using 220g SMK's. The bear got hit twice behind the shoulder and still ran 300 yards off the mountain. When we found him he had crawled into a opening in some rocks and died. Neither bullet opened up. One hit the lungs and the other took the top of the heart off. I shoot mostly a 6.5-.284 for woodchucks and found that the 142g SMK's put a hole through them but they usually scramble back to the hole. I switched to a 140g A-Max and found that most of the time they explode out the exit hole. When Hornady finally comes out with the 300g A-max I'm sure I'll switch to that for my 338-378. Both bullets work well but I think the A-max has the advatage for killing power over the SMK.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.