Side Arm for Grizzly Country

Nice BB Laguna

when you go to Wyo are you archery hunting?
Thank you sir. Was a very fun hunt near Hondo. It's the biggest Blackbuck I've ever seen.

Negative on archery. I did archery 99% of the time from 1998 to 2015. I'm not really positioned for the practice required these days. My routine practice sessions back in the day was a dozen consecutive arrows in a dozen 1" dots painted on a single poly bag from 20 yards 5 days/week. That got me to where I was able to shoot turkeys in the head with a standard mechanical broadhead. I sold my Hoyt Hypertec, bow press, and all gear in 2015. Nowadays I play with guns.

I live in grizz country and had 2 different encounters.1 was a false charge but still scared the you know what out of me but all was ok but the second one was real and scary.He ran down a hill to me and got so close to me that I could smell his breath.He covered 40 feet in a few seconds and he was kind enough to let me slowly walk backwards down the hill and let him dine on the elk I had just shot.
Never ever us a hollow point bullet as it will flatten to fast to penetrate.As others have said use a hard cast.
If you reload there are great bullets from Cast Performance to load yourself but as others have said Buffalo Bore has Factory loaded ammo that is about as good as it gets.I also use Federal Cast Core Factory loaded rounds.These have a brinnel hardness of 22-23 so they are true HARD CAST bullets.Cast Performance bullets are also HARD CAST as they range from 22-24.
Here is a link of people that have defended themselves from grizz attacks and note the calibers used:
Enjoy,Old Rooster

Off the top of my head I can add two more incidents of successful brown bear defense with a pistol, beyond those cited in that article.
And one of bear spray utterly failing. The fully expended can of bear spray was found next to the dead mauling victim.

Used to carry a 44 now carry a Glock 40 10mm. Chances are slim that you will run into one without looking for one but, I am here to tell you that it will take your breath away if you do.
tkKadwx.jpg

I live in grizz country and had 2 different encounters.1 was a false charge but still scared the you know what out of me but all was ok but the second one was real and scary.He ran down a hill to me and got so close to me that I could smell his breath.He covered 40 feet in a few seconds and he was kind enough to let me slowly walk backwards down the hill and let him dine on the elk I had just shot.
Never ever us a hollow point bullet as it will flatten to fast to penetrate.As others have said use a hard cast.
If you reload there are great bullets from Cast Performance to load yourself but as others have said Buffalo Bore has Factory loaded ammo that is about as good as it gets.I also use Federal Cast Core Factory loaded rounds.These have a brinnel hardness of 22-23 so they are true HARD CAST bullets.Cast Performance bullets are also HARD CAST as they range from 22-24.
Here is a link of people that have defended themselves from grizz attacks and note the calibers used:
Enjoy,Old Rooster
That research is certainly encouraging.

Used to carry a 44 now carry a Glock 40 10mm. Chances are slim that you will run into one without looking for one but, I am here to tell you that it will take your breath away if you do.
tkKadwx.jpg
Nice rig! I have the same pistol, but I cannot use that holster without modifying it. The works too good in securing it, too tight for me to have a quick draw. I ended up with a Denali chest holster (https://diamonddoutdoors.com/products/denali-chest-holster) for now for half the price. This allowed me for a quick draw without modification. I am still considering waist/leg carry and optical sight similar to yours.

Denali chest holster Glock 40 MOD 10MM 1 of 2.jpg

Idaho,
Nice looking chest rig. What brand? Only problem, pointing the wrong way, lefty?
Thank you, as others have mentioned, it is a Kenai and it is fantastic I use it all year round from camping to hunting. Once the straps are purchased you can buy an assortment of holsters and switch them out for different model autos.
Oh, I shoot right, that is a selfie shot and reverses the pic.

Thank you, as others have mentioned, it is a Kenai and it is fantastic I use it all year round from camping to hunting. Once the straps are purchased you can buy an assortment of holsters and switch them out for different model autos.
Oh, I shoot right, that is a selfie shot and reverses the pic.

I have a couple that are very similar (Gunfighters inc.- Kenai ) that are great for camping, hiking, fishing. However, I don't like them for handgun hunting applications. They are very noisy, for close quarters (handgun) hunting! Just a thought....for hunting, I much prefer leather. JMO. memtb

I have the Kenai Gunfighters chest holster for my Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull. It holds the revolver tight. No worries about it falling out. It's not coming out until and unless I jerk it free.
Fine for defensive holster. It's not a hunting holster, nor promoted as such.
I have a leather pancake style hip holster also. Handy for short hikes around the house. With a backpack on, I think the Kenai chest holster is a little more convenient. But I don't typically take the 454 and wear the chest holster in addition to my rifle while backpack hunting.
I'm trending toward use of the chest holster more often than not, even when not wearing a backpack.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.