Side Arm for Grizzly Country

Well, that is the official Wyoming Game and Fish report. You can argue with them.

Opinions are like belly buttons. You have ZERO idea of what happened so suggesting that WYG&F is covering something up is totally irresponsible.

I read the report and discussed it with Wardens. It was a total cl-----fu-- that ended up with a dead guide, 2 dead bears and hunter who skipped town before any hard questions could be asked.

Perhaps you should stick to happenings in AK ?

Opinions are like belly buttons. You have ZERO idea of what happened so suggesting that WYG&F is covering something up is totally irresponsible.

I read the report and discussed it with Wardens. It was a total cl-----fu-- that ended up with a dead guide, 2 dead bears and hunter who skipped town before any hard questions could be asked.

Perhaps you should stick to happenings in AK ?

Did I suggest they were covering something up?
Nope.

Did I suggest that it wasn't the whole truth of what happened there?
Yes.

To quote you: "hunter who skipped town before any hard questions could be asked."

That seems to support what I said. How are f&g supposed to know what the one surviving witness won't tell them?

Maybe you should stick to not making assumptions and stop putting words in other people's mouths before you end up putting your foot in your own?

Last edited:
I think that the Game &Fish report was highly dependent upon the testimony given by the hunter. It is his testimony that I am highly skeptical of! I believe the bears were killed before they could testify! Or perhaps "Arkancide", to silence they testimony! 😁 memtb

jOawfvTuyfZSYNCBu0.gif

When Mark was being mauled the client apparently ejected the magazine

I read that. Seems like a case of a lot of things going wrong that shouldn't have.

The hunter should have been more prepared, and the guide should have made sure he knew how to use the sidearm.

Someone (even Florida-man) that hunts and doesn't know how a glock works though? That's hard for me to swallow

I bought the following upgrade (just because) for my Glock 40 MOD in 10MM in post #22 but I have not tried it yet.

Alphawolf compensator >>> https://www.lonewolfdist.com/barrel-accessories/aw-comp

Alphawolf 6.6" threaded barrel >>> https://www.lonewolfdist.com/PRODUCT/920323/aw-20l10th/

View attachment 229005
View attachment 229006
For a range gun, OK.
But for a bear (self) defense gun, the G40 is already long.
You made it longer and therefore even slower to clear leather.

Last edited:
For a range gun, OK.
But for a bear (self) defense gun, the G40 is already long.
You made it longer and therefore slower to clear leather.

I am fully aware of it. No where in my post did I mention anything about getting them for bear defense. You simply assumed it. BTW, with my current holster, I have no problem drawing the 6" barrel.

Guide that was killed in Tetons last year had a 10mm Glock. While the bear was knawing on him, the guide tossed it to the bow hunter who claims he could not figure out how to use it. So he dropped it and ran away.
I've read most all the reports on this bear attack.
Multiple things went wrong here.

What I believe to be true....

1) The guide, Mark Uptain did not show the client how to use the Glock G20.
2) The guide chose not to have a round chambered. Investigators reported no round in chamber.
3) The Glock G20 was carried to the scene in a backpack. This was reported.
4) When the attack commenced, the client retrieved the G20 from the pack but could not operate the Glock G20 and in his state of fright he ejected the mag and then tossed the empty pistol to guide Mark Uptain.
Then the client fled.
It was reported by investigators that the G20 was found with no mag inserted.

A bad situation on so many levels.

I have a rifle shooting buddy that could not operate my Glock the other day at the range.
He's not an experienced pistol shooter and has a habit of meeting the trigger shoe at the first joint in his trigger finger.
Glocks have a trigger blade safety. A dingus that projects out from the face of the trigger shoe.
Meeting the trigger with his finger joint, my friend repeatedly had a dead trigger...he was not disengaging the Glock trigger blade safety.
So, it's possible that an untrained person could have a fully charged Glock and be able to fire it.
This scenario never played out in the Uptain bear attack because there was no round in the chamber to begin with.

In Griz Country, have someone armed and competent on Overwatch while you work on an animal.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.