30 Cal energy for LR Grizzly

I am building a .338 RUM right now for a future Griz hunt.(it'll double for an africa trip that I am taking in summer '09) I will also be adding a 500 S&W short barrel sidearm for insurance. I think I would rather have too much and not need it than have too little and want more. Nothing would be worse than realizing too late that you need a little more horsepower. I have no doubt that a well placed .243 would kill a big bear, but I like to have the what if's covered. (like what if I make a marginal shot--don't say you won't, we all have done it)

Ah, a possible answer to my dilema. I forgot the velocity issue. Nosler's site says 1800 fps is minimum for expansion. Playing devil's advocate, going w/ 1900 fps at my lowest 2623 fps for the 200 AB, a max of around 570 yds is a likely maxium distance. That is totally w/in reason.

Differinging opionions?

I think within reason would actually depend on the terrian. A mountian grizzly out in the open where follow up shots could be taken if needed is one thing. A grizzly on the edge of thick cover is another.

JD338

One month ago I was watching a hunting trip on Wild TV channel and as the program begin, I saw a guy shoot a black bear at 720 yards. The bear drop instantly and never move again. I asked myself what kind of a big gun he has. But before he talk about his rifle he shot a big grizzly that he was looking after for tree days. this bear was more than 600 yards away. he shoot and hit the bear wich begin to run slowly and we can see that he was not able to support on his left front leg, the hunter then shoot another follow up shot at the running bear and it drop right there. Then the guy explain he was shooting a 7mmRM with reloaded ammo using 180 gr Burger bullet. He also explain that this kind of shooting was no luck to him and that the condition were perfect and mostly that he can repeat it on demand in the same condition. If the condition were not ideal, he said that he never shot these two bears.

phorwath, is spot on with his advice.. I lived in Alaska for 7 years and the Bears are exceptionally fast and when they are hit they accelerate quickly.. With that being said I can tell you from experience that a 475 Linebaugh revolver is VERY adequate when the bullet is properly placed

Personally I would use the 180 grain TSX or 168 grainer for the big bears. Bullet integrity and penetration are paramount

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.