Side Arm for Grizzly Country

My gf is a large animal vet and works with some exotics like Tag the Kodiak, note the size of his head.
Tag bear.jpg

I think it's true bears don't kill to eat people as commonly as lions. But I don't think 'proficient' is the right word. Maybe "determined" fits. They have no problem killing humans should that be their mindset. Adult brown/grizzly bear have little problem killing adult moose, moose much larger than them.
We're no match, helpless without a weapon. Large brown bear are able to kill by crushing our skulls. Has happened twice within less than 15 miles of me. One bite, one kill. Smaller bear often bite the head, but rip thru the scalp, unable to fit the skull far enough in their teeth to crush it. Thus the pics of blood streaming down faces.
No reliable way to know their intentions. Often they'll depart after their mauled victim is no longer a threat. But even non-lethal maulings can be horrible.
Great points; maybe to expand when a big cat attacks it is always to kill and eat. Sometimes bears are just defending cubs, etc.

Agreed; if they intend on killing and eating you- you have no chance without help.

Great points; maybe to expand when a big cat attacks it is always to kill and eat. Sometimes bears are just defending cubs, etc.

Agreed; if they intend on killing and eating you- you have no chance without help.
Sometimes African Lions kill humans just for the pleasure of killing. It is not a common occurrence, but it does happen. An interesting read or watch the movie on the documented account of when the British were trying to build the railroad bridge across the Tsavo River for the Kenya Uganda Railway. 2 male lions killed in excess of 120 people during the bridge construction before they finally were able to kill the lions. Some of the bodies were consumed however the large majority were not. When I hunted in Zimbabwe in 08' and 2010' I heard stories of lions killing people without eating them for no apparent reason.

The lions are on display at the Museum of National History I believe. The guy that eventually killed the lions was the bridge engineer, last name of Patterson if memory serves me correctly he wrote the book as well. The name of the movie is Ghosts in The Darkness.

We don't have bears here in Central Texas back in the hills. Our thing to watch out for is a rattlesnake. My pistol of choice is 9 shot 22LR and it's snake accurate for 1 - 10 ft. :)
Yea, we have em here in Mt. as well. I use a Ruger 22LR/22Mag Revolver w/ 22Mag birdshot.

Sometimes African Lions kill humans just for the pleasure of killing. It is not a common occurrence, but it does happen. An interesting read or watch the movie on the documented account of when the British were trying to build the railroad bridge across the Tsavo River for the Kenya Uganda Railway. 2 male lions killed in excess of 120 people during the bridge construction before they finally were able to kill the lions. Some of the bodies were consumed however the large majority were not. When I hunted in Zimbabwe in 08' and 2010' I heard stories of lions killing people without eating them for no apparent reason.
I am going to Zim for elephant and Cape Buffalo in September; very much looking forward to the trip.

I think this sums it up and the visceral aspect of this scene depicts what we all have been talking about but this puts into perspective of the speed, power and savagery of an attack. It still raises the only hair I have left on my neck! Yes it is a movie but it still shows so real. So how many ACCURATE shots do you think you could have taken in this split second of time?

Revenant Bear Attack

I am going to Zim for elephant and Cape Buffalo in September; very much looking forward to the trip.
I'm in CA also, can you bring anything back ? Heard something about a ban on trophy animals. We can't hunt or possess mt lions here, even if taken from another state. Yes it really hurts our deer population.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.