Side Arm for Grizzly Country

That is not a true charge, that's a faint and that's why the bear spray seemed to work, that bear had no intention of actually attacking, she was just trying to make sure that the guy in the video wasn't going to go after her cub. A real charge is far more aggressive and you typically wont see it coming because the bear is actually stalking you so it will hold to cover until it's ready to attack. I live in SW Montana and more often than not, when you read about bear attacks around here, real attacks, it's more common to hear about how the bear just ran right through the spray without any effect. What's even more of a problem is that when people buy a can of spray they never practice with it and it's not unusual to hear that some guy TRIED to deploy his spray and he never did because he didn't know hot to disengage the safety, or he didn't know how to use the spray.

Yup, exactly right. If that guy had not had the bear spray he would for years afterward be callng himself an "expert" and producing a video on how to stop a bear charge by peeing your pants.

Also, most maulings occur because the person walked into an unaware bear, causing it to freak out and attack. Usually it was because it was a sow who thought the person was trying to sneak up and get her cub, but there are no hard rules. Some years ago on 4th of July, a few miles from my house, two people were killed by a lone adult. The only survivor was a teenage boy who was able to climb a spruce tree. They were running x-country on a trail and surprised the bear, probably on a carcass it had found or killed. Usually even a big grizzly will flee when you surprise them, but it isn't a good idea to try it at all. Sometimes they just freak for no apparent reason. Moose do the same thing. Sometimes they just kill you for practice.

Years ago I got "treed" by a bull moose, meaning I had to jump behind a birch tree where it could not get to me. He stood there giving me the evil-eye for being a coward and hiding behind that tree. After about 20 minutes I got tired his game, but didn't want to shoot him, so I pepper-sprayed him a little bit. It was the high-capsium good stuff, at six feet. DID NOT SEEM TO PHASE HIM, but left me gagging. So I really let him have it. About 5 minutes later he finally walked away and started browsing. There is no way I am ever going to waste time trying to pepper-spray an attacking bear, unless that was my only option.

There have been experienced guides killed by grizzlies who never even got a shot off. Guys on trails have been killed before they could draw their pistol. You are highly unlikely to be able to fire more than one or at most two shots in a true attack, because it happens so fast -- they are on you and you aren't doing squat once that happens, except that sometimes they break off when they think you are done for, but come back if they see you move. If you still have a hand and arm that works, and are not blinded by blood, you might be able to draw your pistol and shoot, if the pistol didn't get lost in the scuffle.

A hungry black bear may stalk and cautiously approach, back off and repeat, trying to figure out whether you are defenseless or not. You don't want to be picking up sticks and rocks to fight with, because even a small one is about ten times as strong as the biggest, baddest human you ever saw on TV, and equipped with nasty claws. Pepper spray would probably work on one of those, but that bear needs to be taken out of circulation anyway. A black bear killed a kid running in a mountain race a few miles from my house a year or so ago. He was calling other people at the race for help on his phone while the bear circled him but there was no way for them to know exactly where he was, or to get there in time.

I would just take the .357 if that was the best I had. The odds of needing anything at all, much less something bigger, are very small. Ted at Viapan Lodge got swatted off a 4-wheeler once by a sow grizzly while driving down a trail. All he had was a .38 snub, and he was afraid shooting her with that might make things worse than they already were. With her on top of him, wondering if he was taking his last breath, he fired two shots beside her head, one on either side. He said at that she looked at him with utter disgust and walked away. All's well that ends well.

But, those low odds do go up once you open up an animal. I knew a guy who shot a deer on Raspberry Is., just north of Kodiak Is., and got pounced on while he was cutting it up to pack out. His rifle was right there, but he never got a shot off. Moe lived, though. A young military fellow who shot a deer on the east end of Uganik Is. didn't.

Packing a big wheel-gun on my hip in rough country makes it awfully sore after a few days. I like a 1911 converted to 45 Super -- about the same killing power as a 10mm, easy and comfortable to carry, and quickly brought into the fray. Staying alert and being cautious will usually keep you from needing any weapon at all, but that can be difficult to do in unfamiliar country, and when everything is greened up. If you see a cub, try to sneak away quickly and quietly before the sow sees or smells you.

With your gun out and ready! :)

Last edited:
If you are riding, it would be good to have it in a good shoulder holster.

Shoulder holsters are terrible, uncomfortable and hard to access under stress. A chest holster is a much better hunting rig on and off horses. Check out

In no way affiliated except I have purchased and wear this all hunting season

With all of the other expenditures associated with this trip, and the feedback provided above,, I'm leaning toward using the 357 Mag that I own. Its a 7 shot. Which brand and grain weight of hard cast ammo would y'all recommend for the 357?

I'm a 357 hunter and sportsman. These 180's will put the hurt on big pigs.

I am with you guys if I have 30 rounds the the bear deffinalty knows I dont want are. In My opinion I think all guides should have to carry something on a AR platform in pistol or SBR. Its peoples lives at stake not for steak.

Yup, exactly right. If that guy had not had the bear spray he would for years afterward be callng himself an "expert" and producing a video on how to stop a bear charge by peeing your pants.

Also, most maulings occur because the person walked into an unaware bear, causing it to freak out and attack. Usually it was because it was a sow who thought the person was trying to sneak up and get her cub, but there are no hard rules. Some years ago on 4th of July, a few miles from my house, two people were killed by a lone adult. The only survivor was a teenage boy who was able to climb a spruce tree. They were running x-country on a trail and surprised the bear, probably on a carcass it had found or killed. Usually even a big grizzly will flee when you surprise them, but it isn't a good idea to try it at all. Sometimes they just freak for no apparent reason. Moose do the same thing. Sometimes they just kill you for practice.

Years ago I got "treed" by a bull moose, meaning I had to jump behind a birch tree where it could not get to me. He stood there giving me the evil-eye for being a coward and hiding behind that tree. After about 20 minutes I got tired his game, but didn't want to shoot him, so I pepper-sprayed him a little bit. It was the high-capsium good stuff, at six feet. DID NOT SEEM TO PHASE HIM, but left me gagging. So I really let him have it. About 5 minutes later he finally walked away and started browsing. There is no way I am ever going to waste time trying to pepper-spray an attacking bear, unless that was my only option.

There have been experienced guides killed by grizzlies who never even got a shot off. Guys on trails have been killed before they could draw their pistol. You are highly unlikely to be able to fire more than one or at most two shots in a true attack, because it happens so fast -- they are on you and you aren't doing squat once that happens, except that sometimes they break off when they think you are done for, but come back if they see you move. If you still have a hand and arm that works, and are not blinded by blood, you might be able to draw your pistol and shoot, if the pistol didn't get lost in the scuffle.

A hungry black bear may stalk and cautiously approach, back off and repeat, trying to figure out whether you are defenseless or not. You don't want to be picking up sticks and rocks to fight with, because even a small one is about ten times as strong as the biggest, baddest human you ever saw on TV, and equipped with nasty claws. Pepper spray would probably work on one of those, but that bear needs to be taken out of circulation anyway. A black bear killed a kid running in a mountain race a few miles from my house a year or so ago. He was calling other people at the race for help on his phone while the bear circled him but there was no way for them to know exactly where he was, or to get there in time.

I would just take the .357 if that was the best I had. The odds of needing anything at all, much less something bigger, are very small. Ted at Viapan Lodge got swatted off a 4-wheeler once by a sow grizzly while driving down a trail. All he had was a .38 snub, and he was afraid shooting her with that might make things worse than they already were. With her on top of him, wondering if he was taking his last breath, he fired two shots beside her head, one on either side. He said at that she looked at him with utter disgust and walked away. All's well that ends well.

But, those low odds do go up once you open up an animal. I knew a guy who shot a deer on Raspberry Is., just north of Kodiak Is., and got pounced on while he was cutting it up to pack out. His rifle was right there, but he never got a shot off. Moe lived, though. A young military fellow who shot a deer on the east end of Uganik Is. didn't.

Packing a big wheel-gun on my hip in rough country makes it awfully sore after a few days. I like a 1911 converted to 45 Super -- about the same killing power as a 10mm, easy and comfortable to carry, and quickly brought into the fray. Staying alert and being cautious will usually keep you from needing any weapon at all, but that can be difficult to do in unfamiliar country, and when everything is greened up. If you see a cub, try to sneak away quickly and quietly before the sow sees or smells you.

With your gun out and ready! :)
I use xdm in 10mm it's my security 15 plus 1 carry to mags 32 rounds

erebody should know that when gutting, skinning and quartering an animal you just shot in bear country .... playing Slayer loud, will keep all predators away, even hangry bears, my personal choice on my solo moose, black bear hunts in Alaska, the music is soothing to me but bears find it terrifying

500 gr hardcast bullets delivered via 500 Shock & aWe for the dumb bears

0BE9A833-C579-42B6-AD3C-DD1C1243D0DF.jpeg

In Grizzly country I always carry a double-barreled derringer in 45-70. When I pick a fight with a griz, I stuff my arm down his throat, use two fingers to get a good grip on his tonsils and pull the trigger. The recoil gets my hand out and I saute the tonsils in butter.

In Grizzly country I always carry a double-barreled derringer in 45-70. When I pick a fight with a griz, I stuff my arm down his throat, use two fingers to get a good grip on his tonsils and pull the trigger. The recoil gets my hand out and I saute the tonsils in butter.
That's what I used to do, but in my older age that's just too much work for me. Now I prefer to stare them down while pointing two fingers at their eyes. Then when they're under my spell I make them circle around downwind so I can hit them with my bear spray. Cracks me up when they go running away bawling like cubs and banging into trees.

Sig p220 Emperor Scorpion 10mm in Gunfighter's Kenai holster
Yes it's heavy. I don't even notice the weight in the chest holster. I've processed animals without taking it off. More importantly the recoil is negligible. I can fire multiple shots without losing sight picture.

A 45/70 guide gun would be my choice for a camp rifle in brown bear country. A .44 Magnum is A decent carry option. It probably will not stop a charging bear but it makes you feel more secure.

This bear was 30 yards away with the wind blowing to her face with the meat behind us. Fortunately she had a cub in a den and wouldn't leave the cub. I can say if she had charged I don't think you would get more than 6 shots off in time.

Attachments

• grizzly.jpg
    grizzly.jpg
    491.3 KB · Views: 332

It doesn't quite work that way....... At least on humans. high powered guns placed in the mouth and pull the trigger completely explodes the skull. tiny bone fragments cover the room. The bullet is immaterial. The massive muzzle blast in a contained area goes off like a bomb. Suicides have to be investigated by homicide detectives. I was appalled the first time I went to one.... well probably every time. I believe that your hand would be gone!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts