Side Arm for Grizzly Country

This might be a stupid question, and maybe it's already been discussed. (i didn't read all 26 pages) But does anyone carry or considered a 12 guage such as the Mossberg Shockwave or Rem Tac 14?

I used to see people carry a Mossberg pump with pistol grip. I spent a night with my girlfriend in a tent on Talarik Creek and borrowed one to have with us. Once again, I have no idea if it would be an effective weapon against a big brown bear. Seems like it would be. I love the idea of the 45-70 guide gun but not easy to carry fishing or in addition to a hunting rifle.

I have a buddy that used to bow hunt Idaho every year in a area with Griz. He talked about running into a local that always pack a small sawed off 12ga. Seems like a good idea to me.
I've packed a G20 10mm for the past 2 years on fishing trips into the Bob Marshall.

You are talking like the .357, 10mm, and .44 are the only options. I have both .357 and .44. As for the number of rounds the 10mm can discharge in a short time, I can empty 6 rounds from my .357 in 2-3 secs with accuracy well enough to hit a grizzly, although I hope that will never be necessary. I have never tried rapid fire with my .44 due to the recoil. I shoot 240gr-300gr and a couple of shots is all you will get at close encounters. I have been considering a S&W .460 with a brake. There are a couple online gun stores that have a good deal on them. Happy hunting!

back in the day, I used to do a fair bit of double action work with my 3" Smith 44 mag. Took some time to get it sorted out, but once I did I was fairly handy with it. Not near as handy as I am with my G20 though:)

back in the day, I used to do a fair bit of double action work with my 3" Smith 44 mag. Took some time to get it sorted out, but once I did I was fairly handy with it. Not near as handy as I am with my G20 though:)

My first "bear defense" 44 mag was a Smith 6" with a full lugged barrel. Was fairly heavy and long. It was stolen from my house and the next one I bought was a Smith Mountain Gun. It had a tapered 4" barrel and was much lighter. Bought some Arctic Ammo from a store in Anchorage. Think it was overloaded 300+gr FMJ. The recoil was absurd and accuracy was marginal at best in my hands. Shot it a few times and declared myself loaded for bear. Never fired it again and I sold it on my way out of AK.

You are talking like the .357, 10mm, and .44 are the only options. I have both .357 and .44. As for the number of rounds the 10mm can discharge in a short time, I can empty 6 rounds from my .357 in 2-3 secs with accuracy well enough to hit a grizzly, although I hope that will never be necessary. I have never tried rapid fire with my .44 due to the recoil. I shoot 240gr-300gr and a couple of shots is all you will get at close encounters. I have been considering a S&W .460 with a brake. There are a couple online gun stores that have a good deal on them. Happy hunting!

S&W sold a cool 460 bear defense package 15 or 20 years ago. It came in a Pelican like case. Cannot remember what all it came with but was a 4" 460 with a brake. Think it had extra bright yellow or orange grips. Heavy as heck but cool.

Totally underforstand, those lighter weight 44's are a bit much to go single action let alone double!

There's a reason why I say that most people won't do well with a revolver:( (though it's tough as heck for most all to admit just that)

S&W sold a cool 460 bear defense package 15 or 20 years ago. It came in a Pelican like case. Cannot remember what all it came with but was a 4" 460 with a brake. Think it had extra bright yellow or orange grips. Heavy as heck but cool.

2 1/2" !

Attachments

• 87837FAD-B242-43DC-888F-6E212CDD458B.jpeg
    87837FAD-B242-43DC-888F-6E212CDD458B.jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 104
Totally underforstand, those lighter weight 44's are a bit much to go single action let alone double!

There's a reason why I say that most people won't do well with a revolver:( (though it's tough as heck for most all to admit just that)

I shot 2 or 3 times at a Pepsi can with mine and missed it every time. Declared myself dialed in. There is a good reason that I do not frequent the long range pistol hunting website.

CTK ,

A .460S&W with a 2 1/2" barrel with muzzle brake ?
If the bear were inside of 10 feet from you when you fired that "HAND CANNON" , even if you missed , the muzzle blast and concussion shock-wave would probably knock both you and the bear unconscious .
The winner of the encounter , you or the bear , would be determined by who awakened first to finish the job at hand !!!

Just my attempt at humor ,
DMP25-06

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts