Side Arm for Grizzly Country

44 Russian, the Premier turn of the century target round.
My Colt New Service Match made in 1912.

IMG_3667.jpg

IMG_3666.jpg

I am going on a horseback Mule Deer hunt in Grizzly Country. I will be with a guide. I am told that it is advisable to have a side arm for protection from the grizzly bears. The simple choice looks to be a 44 mag, with hard cast bullets, but I'm interested in hearing what you guys are using, and what advantages and disadvantages you have seen. I am limited in the weight that I can carry, so that is a consideration. I have a 6" S&W 357 Wheel gun, and hoping it is reasonable to use that for protection.

I cannot speak from direct experience with Grizzlies. But I have a S & W .44 Mag Mountain Gun, in stainless.
stainless, with a tapered barrel. Pretty accurate at 5-20 yards. "Pretty accurate" meaning, it will hit what you are aiming at with the first shot. If you want to benchrest it on bags and make a group you can brag about, you'd probably want to put .44 specials in it. Recoil is pretty stout compared to a .357 S & W L frame. Maybe not that much worse than lighter, say, K-frame S & W with a hot .357 load. But any way about it, not a gun most people would enjoy taking to the range and putting a box of 50 through it. Despite the tapered bbl., it is heavy.
On plus side, it is fairly resistant to weather and you never feel like you are not carrying enough pistol.

If I ever get to take my fly fishing dream vacation to Alaska, I plan to take it. And also plan to hire a guide who puts you on fish, has a nose for bears, and limps like Chester in Gunsmoke, so I can at least outrun him:D.

A book worth its weight in gold is "Hunting in Alaska" by Christopher Batein. BUY IT!! First of all you need how to hunt in bear country, how you field dress after the kill, and how you pack it out. All done completely different in bear country. IE: one person field dresses & the other stands guard. Our rule is each time the field dresser catches the guard looking at him it cost the guard $100. The fifth time it happens the guard gets stabbed with the field knife. Packing out, freighter pack has 2 thumb quick releases. The gun toter in front and the gun toter behind him. If anyone yells bear, immediately release the freighter pack....Bear Spray at point blank range is the only way to go. Many places bear spay is required by law. At close range the bear will eat you AFTER you blow its heart out.
When the kill is made late in the evening, it is gutted. Early next morning you very carefully come back to the kill. From a distance you sit, wait & watch to see if a bear has claimed the kill....The 10mm is my favorite pistol, but not even close for bear country..... My S&W 500 is what I use. S&W even states for bear 500 gr is the minimum bullet.

We hunt the Thorofare in Wyoming. I carry either my glock 20 or my ruger alaskan in 454. 200 grain hard cast for the 10mm and 350 grain hard cast for the 454. I use a chest rig so that the pistol is always available even while quartering an animal.
I'm curious which one you shoot "accurately " the quickest !
I've owned a Redhawk 44 mag for about 25 years now. I was charged by a black bear sow when her cub tree'd about 15' from a friend and I . We were packed about 10 miles in the Wenham in Oregon
Archery hunting.( Sidearms were not legal to carry during archery season back then.)
She was a bullet,, she covered 60 yards in about 3 seconds. I couldn't even believe the speed she came in. She looked about the size of a Shepherd on all 4's.
When she threw the anchor out and stood on 2 about 15' from us she went to 6 1/2' tall real quick. We were screwed ! She stopped, squinting to try to make us out ( full camo) wind in our face and froze in place. The cub came down the tree walked about 5' over to her and they both walked off.
I carried (illegally) that 44 mag every year after that.
But I noticed with full house 320 gr Cor bon hard casts that revolver was a handful to accurately shoot when I practiced 3 quick shots.
I've since bought a RIA 10mm Single stack.
Love it, was fast on the 3 shot 220 gr Underwood hard cast. But limited to 8 shots. I guess my point is, with minimal practice (compared to my Redhawk) I'm way faster with the auto.
And last week I bought a XDM 15+1. I'm retiring the 8 round 1911.
Just my 2 cents from someone lucky enough to have this experience and learn from it.

That's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. You're going to be best with what you practice with. I'm not Jerry but he can shoot a revolver on target fast than a semi because he doesn't have to wait for the slide to cycle! That's insane fast. Don't watch some YouTube glocktard and believe that a semi is some how faster to get on target than a revolver. Carry what you're good with....but get good with what you need to carry.
View attachment 197172
Jerry and Joe blow ain't even the same sport. He's spent his entire life perfecting the art of speed shooting a revolver.
Light loads, 10's of thousands of hours shooting, probably millions of rounds, low stress and shooting a Rolex of a wheel gun.
I've owned and loved my Redhawk for probably 25 years and there is no way I will ever match the speed of my RIA 1911 10mm that I've owned for 2 years now ( both with Max loads).

Jerry and Joe blow ain't even the same sport. He's spent his entire life perfecting the art of speed shooting a revolver.
Light loads, 10's of thousands of hours shooting, probably millions of rounds, low stress and shooting a Rolex of a wheel gun.
I've owned and loved my Redhawk for probably 25 years and there is no way I will ever match the speed of my RIA 1911 10mm that I've owned for 2 years now ( both with Max loads).
I agree he has spent his life doing it but I've seen multiple videos of him doing it with straight out of the box guns including .44 and .500. And I agree I'm not even on his planet, probably not his solar system, of shooting.

But my point in that post was that watching one video on YouTube of "some guy" being faster with a Glock than with a .44 and using that as an excuse to not train with something better was dumb.

I agree he has spent his life doing it but I've seen multiple videos of him doing it with straight out of the box guns including .44 and .500. And I agree I'm not even on his planet, probably not his solar system, of shooting.

But my point in that post was that watching one video on YouTube of "some guy" being faster with a Glock than with a .44 and using that as an excuse to not train with something better was dumb.
Totally agree. The 1 encounter I had archery hunting about 20 years ago with a sow and cub was a game changer for me.
Back ups weren't legal then so my buddy and I were pretty much defenceless.
The speed at which it all unfolded from the time my brain comprehended that was a cub not a super fast porcupine climbing a tree 15' from us, to mom covering about 60 yards straight at us was terrifying.
Probably 5 seconds, max. All my life I loved wheel guns and carried a 44 Redhawk whenever I was rifle hunting. Oregon changed that law for archery hunters 2 years after that incident thankfully.
The 44 mag was my bare minimum for backup until about 5 years ago when " I" noticed the 10mm ammo had changed from self defense to hot deep penetration ammo.
I bought a RIA 1911 10 mm. There was no denying the recovery time of the 2 handguns after I practiced and tuned that 1911. I'm not a 10mm fan, never have been, but definitely will take every millisecond when seconds count.
I don't hunt Grizzly country but I know how tough a Black bear can be. I think either species could kill you after taking a lethal hit by the time they expire, if you don't get a brain/ spine shot in there somewhere in you're salvo.

I hope this is the best advice given so far!
At least after page 2 when this went to bear $#!T
Put a ring on that Vet!

Just for reference on what you are up against, my GF is a vet and this is a bear she works on from time to time. I wouldn't want to meet an angry one. We came very close trying to recover an elk in Wyoming....scary.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.