Show me your practice rigs!

just browsing

Any of you guys have "practice rifles?" I finally finished up my .300 win mag for long range target shooting and I have a little money leftover to play with. Rather than blowing through barrels and icing my shoulder after every time I go to the range, I'm thinking about a smaller caliber rig that I can shoot to my heart's content.

So let's see 'em! Post up your practice rifle setups. The little varmint shooters that you can shoot for hours without having to worry about ammo or being sore the next day.

Bonus points for pictures :D

The twins... .308 & .300. These are my range-only toys. I don't hunt with them.

438050EB-1E4D-4D23-9A83-3E4B7F15A8E5_zpsmvy5kkso.jpg

Well it's not a little rig but this is the one I do the most practicing with.

It's a DPMS LR308 lower with a JP drop in trigger unit with a custom built 260 upper topped with an IOR 4-14x50 tactical. I've shot critters beyond 800yds with it and banged rocks out to 1120yds. I'm going to cut it down to an 18" (currently 24" bull) .750" barrel with 6 deep flutes because as it is it's a brute to pack around anywhere other than the truck and too long to be a good "truck gun" for quick shots.

Also have a nice little Sig 516 in .223 with the same IOR scope that's a lot of fun out to 500yds.

Attachments

• 16326d1357034584-new-260-ar-img_0280.jpg
    16326d1357034584-new-260-ar-img_0280.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 200
Both VERY nice rifles ^^

I'm more looking at .223s and things of that sort. Probably a varmint or heavy contour barrel, something that I can just point and shoot without thinking twice about ammo or shooting out the barrel.

Both VERY nice rifles ^^

I'm more looking at .223s and things of that sort. Probably a varmint or heavy contour barrel, something that I can just point and shoot without thinking twice about ammo or shooting out the barrel.

Sounds like you need a .308 Win... The barrels will last **** near forever, reloading for them is a breeze (it's a very non-picky caliber), and you can just blast away and not really have to worry about ammo or the barrel. I've shot up to a 24-shot string out of mine. I don't advise it, but it can take the abuse, if that's what you're getting at, by saying "without thinking twice".

Sounds like you need a .308 Win... The barrels will last **** near forever, reloading for them is a breeze (it's a very non-picky caliber), and you can just blast away and not really have to worry about ammo or the barrel. I've shot up to a 24-shot string out of mine. I don't advise it, but it can take the abuse, if that's what you're getting at, by saying "without thinking twice".

Yeah I'm leaning towards one of the cheaper Remington 700s... SPS Tactical or whatever I can find that I can put a suppressor on and shoot in my back yard :D

There's something about a .300 win mag that my neighbors don't like very much so I figured there might be a few guys with varmint/target rifles that might be able to sway me one way or another.

This is what I use the most at the PRS matches. Very cheap and outstanding accuracy. 6BR with 105gr.
Shoot way out to 1,000 yards.

Attachments

• Rem700P-6BR-Kreiger 28.jpg
    Rem700P-6BR-Kreiger 28.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 203
  • Sightron-reticle.jpg
    Sightron-reticle.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 244
shoots out to 300 yards at golf balls. one is 22 the other is .17

This is what I'm talking about! Loving the .17 with the suppressor, I bet you can shoot that thing in the middle of the night without disturbing your neighbors. What kind are they?

This is what I use the most at the PRS matches. Very cheap and outstanding accuracy. 6BR with 105gr.
Shoot way out to 1,000 yards.

That is a nice rig, wow. Remington 700 6BR action I'm assuming? What kind of stock? I might be interested in building something like this if I can get the action for cheap enough. Definitely in for more details.

This is what I'm talking about! Loving the .17 with the suppressor, I bet you can shoot that thing in the middle of the night without disturbing your neighbors. What kind are they?

That is a nice rig, wow. Remington 700 6BR action I'm assuming? What kind of stock? I might be interested in building something like this if I can get the action for cheap enough. Definitely in for more details.

Both are savage. The first is a older model 93 BRJ They now call it a MarkII BRJ. I cerakoted it in Burnt bronze. The other is a .17 HMR TRR-SR that I did in FDE and coyote tan. I took off the tri rail that it came with as I found it "gimmicky" and was not useful nor comfortable to shoot. I replaced it with a 20 moa on piece base. I have another 20 MOA one piece base for the 22 but I need to coat it and the rings in burnt bronze before I mount it due to my OCD. With the 22 using either CCI standard velocity or Eley with the can, the firing pin is louder then the shot unless you hear the bullet hit. The .17 is louder due to breaking the speed of sound.
I don't use high velocity 22 ammo as it isn't as accurate as normal velocity ammo under 1100FPS. The other one I just posted is a 10/22 in a troy sport chassis and Tactical solutions x ring barrel. I love using my lower caliber rifles to practice with at long range200-300 yards as the wind drift and range dope is a great cheap way to hone your skill set(breathing, trigger control etc). plus it 's big fun showing someone you can hit a golf ball at 300 yards.
BTW I just got the 10/22 bolt back from Que and he did his thing and colored it in brown. Can't wait to shoot it!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2471.jpg
    IMG_2471.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 183
Both are savage. The first is a older model 93 BRJ They now call it a MarkII BRJ. I cerakoted it in Burnt bronze. The other is a .17 HMR TRR-SR that I did in FDE and coyote tan. I took off the tri rail that it came with as I found it "gimmicky" and was not useful nor comfortable to shoot. I replaced it with a 20 moa on piece base. I have another 20 MOA one piece base for the 22 but I need to coat it and the rings in burnt bronze before I mount it due to my OCD. With the 22 using either CCI standard velocity or Eley with the can, the firing pin is louder then the shot unless you hear the bullet hit. The .17 is louder due to breaking the speed of sound.
I don't use high velocity 22 ammo as it isn't as accurate as normal velocity ammo under 1100FPS. The other one I just posted is a 10/22 in a troy sport chassis and Tactical solutions x ring barrel. I love using my lower caliber rifles to practice with at long range200-300 yards as the wind drift and range dope is a great cheap way to hone your skill set(breathing, trigger control etc). plus it 's big fun showing someone you can hit a golf ball at 300 yards.
BTW I just got the 10/22 bolt back from Que and he did his thing and colored it in brown. Can't wait to shoot it!!!

This is EXACTLY what I'm wanting to do with it. Just something that I can shoot all day to sharpen my skills. I don't need to be shooting the 300wm all the time when I can build something for half of what I spent on that AND have more fun in the process. Definitely would be interested to see the 10/22 in action, that thing looks awesome.

This is EXACTLY what I'm wanting to do with it. Just something that I can shoot all day to sharpen my skills. I don't need to be shooting the 300wm all the time when I can build something for half of what I spent on that AND have more fun in the process. Definitely would be interested to see the 10/22 in action, that thing looks awesome.

Next range day I'll get some video for you. Honestly though go get a heavy barrel 22 and thread it from savage. Drop a can on it and laugh all day long. You will never ever regret it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.