Shoulder growing problem

6pakzak

I was checking the shoulder on some rounds I made and noticed the shoulder moved up about .001 to .0015, been setting it with Redding body die and then taking through lee collet die so the collet die is making it grow a little, would it make more sense to first use collet die and then body die, seems backwards to me but this way shoulder should be where I want it, make sense?

I was checking the shoulder on some rounds I made and noticed the shoulder moved up about .001 to .0015, been setting it with Redding body die and then taking through lee collet die so the collet die is making it grow a little, would it make more sense to first use collet die and then body die, seems backwards to me but this way shoulder should be where I want it, make sense?
That doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. It sounds like maybe the die needs to be adjusted down or you may need a thinner competition shell holder.

To clarify, are you full length sizing at all or just neck sizing with the collet die?

Last edited:
I'm using a Redding body die, it will set back the shoulder and not touch the neck, I have seen other people on other forums also bring this up, it seems to be brass dependant cause some some stay the same after collet die, noticing it on Lapua brass, maybe a little thicker, now that I'm thinking about it maybe I need to back off Lapua brass cause I notice more pressure when running it through collet die.

Fire formed, from what I'm seeing it's mainly Lapua brass, the body die also sets the shoulder, it's after Lee collet die

When you squeeze down the neck onto a mandrel the brass has to flow somewhere and it goes to the shoulder. You are also pushing forward on the case with a good amount of pressure as the neck is clamped down. I can see the shoulder moving forward. Perhaps lightening up on the sizing force would apply less pressure on the shoulder

When you squeeze down the neck onto a mandrel the brass has to flow somewhere and it goes to the shoulder. You are also pushing forward on the case with a good amount of pressure as the neck is clamped down. I can see the shoulder moving forward. Perhaps lightening up on the sizing force would apply less pressure on the shoulder
How does this longer brass chamber in your gun?
Fine, been taking it down till it shot the best but didn't realize I was adding .001 to it, I guess I'll have to take that into account if I bump the shoulder as second step instead of first.

No, I set shoulder where I want with body die, I check it, good to go, then I use collet die and after I check again I gained about .001, I actually did it the opposite way today, collet and then body, I checked for runout to see if this reverse way might make more but so far, made 5, all are under .001 but as someone posted earlier I'm gonna try backing off collet die and issue seems to be with Lapua brass so maybe I got die to tight for the thicker brass.

something is up with your gauge you're checking the shoulder bump with. When you size the case to bump your shoulder hold the case in the die few about 4 seconds. Your collet die has nothing to do with it, the collet doesn't come in contact with the shoulder at all. Look at it with a case in the collet.

something is up with your gauge you're checking the shoulder bump with. When you size the case to bump your shoulder hold the case in the die few about 4 seconds. Your collet die has nothing to do with it, the collet doesn't come in contact with the shoulder at all. Look at it with a case in the collet.
I tried another set of calipers, same thing, I also looked it up and found other people had the same issue, the collet die does size off the shoulders as it's guide, like I said problem is mainly with Lapua and I can feel more resistance with Lapua cases, but it shouldn't be a problem if I use collet and then body right?

put a case in the collet and you will see it doesn't touch the collet at all, but yeah you could use the body after, why not? I use a body die and then the collet and the shoulder stays put. Try holding the case in the body die for awhile and see what happens.

I tried another set of calipers, same thing, I also looked it up and found other people had the same issue, the collet die does size off the shoulders as it's guide, like I said problem is mainly with Lapua and I can feel more resistance with Lapua cases, but it shouldn't be a problem if I use collet and then body right?
Maybe I need to back off collet and see what happens, ain't home now so can't try it till later.