shots are all left and right of bullseye in almost straight line

jerryarlington

I was at a Long Range Safety Officer training this morning. Myself and a younger individual when done went to the 100 yard range to shoot a few rounds to make sure our guns were shooting right.

After I did some adjustments to the scope. I was dead on, up and down. but the group I shot was a string, all on the same height but one or two inches right of left of center.

I had the young guy shoot my gun. He put two in the same hole dead center. then one slightly higher.

SOOOOO....the question is what am I doing wrong. Is it my trigger pull or my heart beat.

The gun is a Kimber 8400 300 win mag with a Vortex Viper pst moa 6.5-24X. 180 grain Federal

As a matter of fact I have noticed this pattern on left to right on several occasions.

Having someone else shoot the gun and hit a .5 inches bulls eye and basically put two bullets in one hole, confirmed that I am doing something wrong, consistently.

Whats the trigger weight ? Perhaps your technique for holding the weapon needs work too, it is a fairly heavy bullet and a fairly heavy recoil. Some part of your setup is allowing horizontal movement prior to the bullet exiting the barrel. Are you sure you don't close your eyes in anticipation of the shot ?

It is a factory trigger, so I am not sure what the weight is. I think about 3.5 pounds but not sure. I have a 300 Weatherby mag. that has a trigger job (2.5#) and it is not as light as that. I do know that I can feel a little creep now and then before it fires.

It does have a recoil, but not as bad as my 338 win. mag. I can not shoot that one, and it is at the gunsmith right now having a break put on it.

I have guns I used to put dime groups with ten years ago and can not do that today. Maybe it's because I am 70 and my eyes have gone down hill, but I have no shakes.

It is just strange that I am getting that side to side pattern.

I am consciously trying to concentrate on a smooth trigger pull that surprises me when it goes off. So maybe I am closing my eyes, I do not know. The gun jumps enough I am certainly not watching it hit the target.

I know it is not the gun or the ammo now so I will concentrate on my shooting dynamics.

Thanks.

You know, there is no shame in "downsizing"a little as one gets older... I will also say that a 3.5# trigger pull is not the best on a precision gun. How much does the gun weigh ? That gives you an idea of the amount of force put on the weapon while trying to keep it exactly on target at the same time. You should really measure the trigger pull weight.

On my first AR 15 the trigger pull started out at close to 8lb with lots of creep. I couldn't shoot better than about 3MOA at best. I reworked the trigger in several stages and got it down to about 2lb but like that it was not safe on a semi auto. So I finally put in a "modern" CMMG trigger with the sear relocated a much longer distance from the pivot and together with some cleaning up of the MIM surfaces that did the trick. I had an instant conversion to 1MOA (this one shot the 7.62x39 round which is not exactly known for accuracy).

I then went through the same process on a Rem 700 "Classic" in 8x57 that was even heavier than the AR and it shot 4MOA at best when I got it. That was in fact the most expensive rifle I bought "out the box". Long story short, it finally got a Shilen trigger that I didn't even have to touch and a new stock and then it was an occasional 1MOA shooter. I was looking to get the barrel replaced but was let down by the barrel maker after waiting 16 weeks. So that has gone to greener pastures now.

On my Savage rifles I have to say I have been very happy with the accutrigger and none of them are even close to the lowest spring tension. I was out shooting at some steel targets I set up on the farm and at 160 yards I put 3 bullets into 1 "crater". That was the 243 AI wearing a Shilen match barrel.

1) Quit playing with the kids they'll make you feel your age every time.
2) I'm betting its in how you're setting up your rest especially the rear.
3) Think basics cheek weld etc.
4) I've got a small cataract going, and I seem to be moving my head around trying to find the spot everything looks best.

I noticed a canted reticule today. Don' know when that happened. I had loose screws. Fix the cant and was ringing the gong at 500 yards every time. The young guy started flinching. Third shot wasn't one paper. Wouldn't even try 500 yards. He dd\id ring it with his 308 and so did I with his 308.

I think it was trigger pull and I worked on that today.

jerry

Try a rear sand bag and I think that'll help with your horizontal stringing.

Are you shooting at Rattle Snake Range? JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.