shoots are all left and right of bullseye in almost straight line

jerryarlington

I was at a Long Range Safety Officer training this morning. Myself and a younger individual when done went to the 100 yard range to shoot a few rounds to make sure our guns were shooting right.

After I did some adjustments to the scope. I was dead on, up and down. but the group I shot was a string, all on the same height but one or two inches right of left of center.

I had the young guy shoot my gun. He put two in the same hole dead center. then one slightly higher.

SOOOOO....the question is what am I doing wrong. Is it my trigger pull or my heart beat.

The gun is a Kimber 8400 300 win mag with a Vortex Viper pst moa 6.5-24X

Do you have a good cheek weld? Are you shooting supported in front and back? Bipod & Sand Bag?

I find for me when I support the stock in the back as well as the front I group better. It allows me to focus more on my cheek weld, trigger pull and target alignment.

Does that 300WM have a brake on it or does it kick like a mule? I have a 300WSM that I have to settle myself in on or I do the same thing. For me it really isn't a noticeable flinch, maybe just a over-tight trigger pull and ****-poor follow through. When I really focus on follow through the horizontal stringing disappears.

FWIW, I am done being a recoil martyr and its getting a brake this winter ...

A few ideas.

1. Rifle cant
2. Forend pressure
3. Trigger pull
4. Wind
5. Parallax/cheek weld.

Go back another day and retry.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.