Shot placement on bear

JohnRP

Where's the best place to aim on a grizz/black bear? I'd like to hear peoples opinion on this subject. I got a book "Ask the Grizz/Brown bear guides". Half the guides suggest behind the shoulder and not to shoot them on the shoulder the other half say shoot for the shoulder first shot . I have shot black bear and aimed behind shoulder. I'm going to Alaska next year and wondering whats your opinion.

Where's the best place to aim on a grizz/black bear?
a. behind the shoulder (but not in) the shoulder
b. shoot for the shoulder first shot .

The shoulder on a bear is much higher in the anatomy than some hunters realize.
Also, the shoulder blade is quite large, and is a massive boney region. If my shot breaks the shoulder but doesn't penetrate to destroy the spinal column my bear may still function fairly well on three legs. Not a shot I would take.
High on the anatomy, behind the shoulder, the shot is more likely to destroy the spinal column. Behind the "shoulder", (actually the upper portion of the front leg) near the bottom of the rib cage, is where the heart dwells. Anywhere below the back and behind the shoulder would give me at least a lung shot but I doubt that a lung shot would put him down without some delay.
My choice of shot would be one that strikes high in the anatomy, behind the shoulder. But what's more important IMO is to make sure that I can hit precisely where I need the bullet to penetrate. If I'm not absolutely sure that the shot will be exactly where it's aimed, I'm gonna let the opportunity pass. gun)

If you get one standing on his hind legs, then hold for the center of his chest. One shot dropped last year's bear under the chokecherry bush he'd stood up to feed on.

I shot a Bear in the shoulder (and broke it) ran away on 3 legs before I could get another shot into him. Never found him, video showed front shoulder shattered and un usable.

Last bear I shot behind the shoulder, took out the heart and lung, he went about 10 yards. I would say this completely depends on the bullet being used.

I shot 2 bears over bait, close range. The 1st was with a 180 grn partition out of a 300 WSM. I pretty much put it in the 'boiler room'. I was surprised at how quickly he took off. He went about 50 yards.

The 2nd was with a 284 Winchester, 150 grn bullet. I put this shot right at the base of the neck. He went down like a sack of beets, total lights out.

With a longer range shot I'd be more in the double-lung camp.

I would say this completely depends on the bullet being used.

Bullet/caliber/weight/construction may be why the guides split on the issue.

Take a rifle capable of making whatever shot comes your way, stay flexible and let circumstances determine your shot placement.

If you have a guide have a good conversation prior to your arrival, and again when you get there so there aren't surprises.

Something else to consider is that a bear that appears to be broadside can in fact be quartering away slightly. A bear's anatomy is very similar to a human's and if you aim right at the shoulder on a quartering away bear there is a high likelihood that no vitals will be hit after passing through the shoulder. I had that happen to me last fall, resulting in a piece of shoulder bone at the hit site. The bear was seen two hours later moving okay but another shot was not taken due to the fact that we weren't sure it was the same bear until after it took off. Afterwards we found a little more sign where the bear had been standing. A high shoulder shot would still anchor the bear and aiming behind the shoulder would put you in both lungs.

If the bear happens to be quartering towards you, an aiming point behind the shoulder would still put you at the very back of the lungs and possibly liver depending on which way the bear is facing. A hit behind the lungs through the guts will still be lethal and if the bear is not pressured it will probably bed down nearby and eventually die or at least stiffen up to the point it is incapable of charging the hunter as he blood trails. (Had that happen on my buddy's bear last fall, with the guide and both of us on the blood trail, my buddy was able to finish the mortally wounded bear with a follow up shot a couple of hours after the initial hit).

Unless the bear is up close such as over bait it can be very hard to assess body angle due to the thick coat of black hair obscuring anatomical landmarks.

I am amazed at how far a bear can go shot in the lungs. I've always be a behind the shoulder shooter. Watching some TV shows where they drop a grizz on the spot with a shoulder shot.

I'm very strongly in the big tough bullet at a good velocity close range. Fragile bullets are a guessing game on bear. I've never lost a bear when shooting X and TSX bullets. But then I always use 338 and up for bear hunting. And have only shot brown bear with 416s and 458s . But that is what I hunt deer with also. . I don't track wounded bears because I don't wound them. I dump them where they stand.
Small black bears are usually not as hard to kill as brown bearare . But regardless a tough expanding bullet that can take out the heart from ANY ANGLE is what you want for bear hunting.

I prefer to shoot them behind both shoulder muscles, when provided directly broadside shots. 1/3 of the way from the bottom toward the back of the bear. I've never targeted the shoulder bone of a bear on broadside shots. Furthest away bear I've shot is ~450 yds. Closest was ~20 feet. My direct experience includes a dozen or so black bear and several brown bear. Observed a few more killed by others.

A bigger diameter bullet is better than smaller on the large brown bear, especially after they've been wounded or scared and the adrenaline (the bear's - that is) is pumping.

I have dual residency's in Idaho and Alaska. I hunt bear in both states yearly.In my years I have 28 bears total with none going 2 feet with a shoulder shot. BUT in order to do a shoulder shot on a bear you have to have a deep penetrating bullet, I use a 45-70 freebored with a 400gr Barnes original loaded to 2100fps. My 338-378 Weatherby uses a 285 gr Barnes or the new 280 loaded to 3100 it knocks the lights out quicker than anything.

I have used my trusty 7mm Rem years ago with a 175 Partition loaded on H4831 for 2975 fps and put them behind the shoulder and have never lost one but never have had one drop in its tracks, They go 15 to 20 yds and pile up.
Most of these are7 foot give or take Alaskan Grizz with a few Blacks in the bag.

Idaho Black Bear we typically use a,,,,believe it or not,,44 mag lever or pistol with cast lead 300 gr bullet. Tree then with a dog and the shots are 30 feet. Drops them dead. Watch them when they drop. They drop on the dogs!:)

I really like the little lever rifles in 44 or 45 Colt. I don't know why I don't have one. How are they for reliability? What velocity are you getting from them??
I would hunt with a lever rifle if Savage wouldn't have quit making the 99 . Especially in 250/3000 and 358 Winchester.

We ran the Ruger semi-auto a number of years back. The kids ran ammo a coffee can at a time through it. Always came up shooting. I can't recall the chronograph data right now.

For a common reference Buffalo Bore is advertising 1770 fps from for the 300 grain bullets in an 18.5 inch barrel. They also have a 340 but some disclaimers about what it is safe in.

I have the 96/44 and it's been good to us, but I would like one of the newer generation Ruger semi-auto's with a detachable magazine. A collapsible butt stock, and pistol grip would be perfect LOL.

The 300 Hornady XTP always flattened a bunch at this velocity. For bigger bear the 300 Sierra, and hard cast would be my choice.

I used the BB 340 gr +P+ in a Blackhawk. That load was ss close to the 454 Casul as you could get in a 44 . Very impressive load. Its good to.hear that the 96 functions well. I got a DeerField carbine for my wife in 01 . It was a good idea considering where we lived but!! That @#$%&*)(?/;:' thing couldn't go thru 1 clip without jamming. I got rid of it. It didn't matter what load we tried.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.