Shot placement, bear facing hunter?

Now that was a just a wee bit EXCITING... Wow... Glad you're here to tell the tale. Quite an experience.

Had to look up where Churchill, Manitoba was. Right on the Hudson Bay. Interesting, never been anywhere near there.

Good shooting!

Last spring I was fortunate enough to get a shot at a big black bear. I had my 35 Whelen with 225gr. TSX. The shot was 25yds.

1002270001.jpg

1002220026.jpg

1002220043.jpg

I shot as he was facing towards me, head down. He was in the same position as he is in the pic beside the barrel. At the shot he went straight down and never twitched, except three death rattles.
I aimed between his shoulders, at the base of the neck. The bullet went through the spine and neck, all the vitals, and I found it against the hide where his offside back leg started. I did a quick measure and the bullet travelled 34", or close to it.

Even though the bullet sheared 3 petals off, I am still really happy with it's performance. It went through alot of meat and bone, and penetrated a long ways.

My muzzle velocity is 2660fps, and at 25 yds it wouldn't have been much slower than that.

Nice bear! Where are you hunting? .35 Whelen is about as close to perfect as it gets for that type of work.

Last edited:
I vastly disagree with the head shot. It would really ruin your mount and if the shot was slightly off, it can quickly turn into a wounded animal without a blood trail.

Elevated position- Through the center of the neck and down through the vitals.

Straight on, same elevation- center mass, just under the chin.

I vastly disagree with the head shot. It would really ruin your mount and if the shot was slightly off, it can quickly turn into a wounded animal without a blood trail.

Elevated position- Through the center of the neck and down through the vitals.

Straight on, same elevation- center mass, just under the chin.

That's assuming the shooter would be "slightly off". If you're "slightly off" with him looking at you, then the shot will likely end up where you suggest shooting (in either senerio). My advice on the CNS shot is: take it, if you can confidently. I've never missed a head shot, but I've never tried one that I wasn't confident I could make.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.