Shorten lop on synthetic stock

padd54

I have a Vanguard Backcountry that is a little long for me, even in a t-shirt.
It has a synthetic stock, how do I go about cutting it down a mite?
Thanks,
Ray

Last edited:
I have a Vanguard Backcountry that is a little long for me, even in a t-****.
It has a synthetic stock, how do I go about cutting it down a mite?
Thanks,
Ray

Ray .

Before you cut it down you might try replacing the stock recoil pad with a thin recoil one.

The composites are a little tricky.

J E CUSTOM

For a guy to do this at home, it can be a little tough.

What I do is mount the stock in a fixture that I made that hangs off the back of a mill table. I then machine the desired amount off with a .75" endmill working outside to inside in a clockwise fashion. This ensures the cutter is shearing into the material; mitigating any chips/tears.

If the stock is hollow, I'll mix up a batch of resin and then add some micro balloons made by West Systems. The resin will heat up the balloons and it'll "erupt" like foam. When the resin cures it'll make the material like a hard sponge that is very strong and very light. Then machine again to bring flush and install your recoil pad.

Works great and its all in one set up.

Chad

I can see that this way too involved for me to attempt. I can't even figure out to remove the pad at the end of the stock. I can see no attaching screws, it must of been glued on.

I will take to smith.

Thanks for the detailed responses. I love this place.

Ray

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.