Need Gunsmith to Shorten A Bolt stock

Ehgbyf

I just bought my son a browning 243 a bolt. I need to have the factory plastic stock shortened by about 2 inches and a recoil pad put on. Does anybody know who could do something like this?

I would suggest that to shorten a synthetic stock and then reinforce it to hold a new recoil pad will be somewhat difficult, and likely expensive as well as disappointing.

You are probably better off finding an A-Bolt Micro stock (same rifle, shorter LOP) or buying a new laminate one from Boyds:

Link: Find a Stock

Link is to the Prairie Hunter design; you can choose whatever you want, and is provided just as an example. For $99 + shipping, or a bit more with a different recoil pad, I suspect you will be better off with regard to quality, fit and cost.

Thanks. What I have done in the past is saw off a few inches and then epoxy a piece of wood inside the stock and then screw the buttpad in. I am not a professional and it never ends up looking perfect.

I was going to buy a Boyd's but it looks like they only make stocks for the long action.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.