Need Gunsmith to Shorten A Bolt stock

Ehgbyf

I just bought my son a browning 243 a bolt. I need to have the factory plastic stock shortened by about 2 inches and a recoil pad put on. Does anybody know who could do something like this?

Dr. Vette

I would suggest that to shorten a synthetic stock and then reinforce it to hold a new recoil pad will be somewhat difficult, and likely expensive as well as disappointing.

You are probably better off finding an A-Bolt Micro stock (same rifle, shorter LOP) or buying a new laminate one from Boyds:

Link: Find a Stock

Link is to the Prairie Hunter design; you can choose whatever you want, and is provided just as an example. For $99 + shipping, or a bit more with a different recoil pad, I suspect you will be better off with regard to quality, fit and cost.

Ehgbyf

Thanks. What I have done in the past is saw off a few inches and then epoxy a piece of wood inside the stock and then screw the buttpad in. I am not a professional and it never ends up looking perfect.

I was going to buy a Boyd's but it looks like they only make stocks for the long action.

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.

Recent Posts