Shooting the CMP Kimber 82G.......

RoyB

I finally got out to shoot the Civilian Marksmanship Program surplus Kimber 82G 22LR target rifle yesterday.

Weather was beautiful but strong cross wind and horrible range conditions. At nearly 60 degrees the range was Ice, Water Mud and more MUD!
Sitting at the bench my stool kept sinking into the ground, my feet were in a 6" deep puddle of water. I brought 6 rifles to shoot and planned on spending the day. I lasted less than an hour and only uncased the Kimber...........

But........The Kimber shot great! Since these rifles are brand new and never fired, I spent a lot of time cleaning the barrel before the first shot. Then I was using bulk Remington "Target" ammo. Shot ten shots and three wet patches of a 50/50 mix of Shooters Choice and Kroil and then ten back and fort strokes of a brass brush.........repeat!

I fired 100 rounds with this sequence.

So, how did it shoot?.....At 50 yrds, no group was over .75"......Out of the ten shot groups, 6-7 rounds would group into a small cluster of under 1/2" and the other would open it up. The rifle has not been bedded yet, this most likely will account for the fliers.

Today I'll head back out and using Wolf Target, Eley, Federal Match, etc we'll see if we can't improve these groups.

DSC_2241-vi.jpg

More article on the CMP Kimber 82G here:
RVB Precision - Welcome to the world of ultra precision

Lots of pictures here:
THINGS THAT GO BANG! | Rbertalotto | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

When you get a chance, give the CCI mini mag HP a try as well. They seem to really shine in target barreled 22s. Good lookin gun! Lets us know how it goes with Wolf etc. I'm betting you'll be happier with anything other than the Remmys. I've only seen a couple guns that actually like those things (both were European, my CZ452 and a buddys Anshutz, and by "like" I mean they'll group almost as well as the Wolf, CCI, etc).

Last edited:
I'll have to pick up some of the CCI -HP. I did try ten of the standard CCI rounds and they shot well over an inch.........UGH!

Roy,
I was shooting my one of my new 82G's Friday, in the mud too!
Wolf MT is my go to, I wasn't measuring groups but at 50 meters they were tight and at 100 a little more than 1MOA, and I shoot with the open sights. I was actually working on understanding the drop chart for Wolf MT and the adjustments on the receiver sight, (30 clicks or 6" between 50 and 100 meters).

This is the third time out with this rifle and I probably have a brick (only Wolf) through it now. I did not go through the elaborate break-in you did, but this will be a training rifle for Boy Scouts not a bench rifle.

At the end of the day we spread clay pigeons on the berm (130M) and I was able to keep pace with my bud and his scoped 82G. what a value @ $424.00!

Sure is a great deal!

But you paid $2 more than me!.................Mine came in at $422................... :)

Kytopgun, Check with CMP. I think they have an operation at Camp Perry. Port Clinton may be in driving distance for you. With all the National Matches coming up, they will for sure be set up then, probably on Commercial Row. The best thing about going there is being able to select a rifle before you buy it.

I have one also, and it isn't finicky, but so far the best ammo in it has been the SK Match, at about $6.50 per box of 50. I also have only shot the (excellent) iron sights, but when I do my part, it's consistently 1/2" for 5 shot strings at 50 yds (1 MOA). I believe that it will easily shoot 1/2 MOA, (a knothole) with the SK ammo and a good scope.

I just broke down and bought a 50 rd box of RWS 50, 50 rds of Fed GM Ultra Match, and a 100 rd box of CCI Green Tag to try in a couple of good .22L/R's, including the 82G.

The 82G barrel broke in quickly and cleans up quickly after only 35 rds. Until I put a good scope on it, I'll never know how good it is, but I enjoy shooting the irons.

I believe the rifles are keepers.

Tom

I picked one up last week along with a 40x usmc receiver. I have decided to sell the Kimber for 500 I will pay the shipping I can post pictures but for some reason they are really blurry send me a pm with email and I will send them to who ever wants them

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.