22lr distance shooting

Other ammo works, but I've always had the best luck with feeding and precision using Lapua. SK feeds well, but I generally found it's not as precise as Center X. Eley was very precise, but I had feeding issues. You need to test various lots to get the best performance. If you're near Ohio check out Capstone's ammo test center. They have one in AZ too, but I think it's closed right now.

On average you should be around .7" at 100yd given good conditions. Wind will open that up significantly.

I believe the current KO.28M record is 3/5 on a 12" plate at 500yd. That may have changed recently.

If you're holding quarter size groups at 200 I highly recommend taking up benchrest and ELR rimfire. You'll be the best in the world.

Last edited:
Any reports yet on the CZ long range 457. My friend just got one and with 2 ammos it shot 1.2 moa at 100yds in a gusty wind. I thought that was pretty impressive. Sounds like it is from what I just read. 1 of those ammos was Winchester 555.

What optics are ya'll using on the CZ. I have a little FFP 4-8X and it's not useful at 300 yards. I shoot my CZ457 suppressed. I don't know how well it would do at 200 much less 300. Great at 100. Sighted in at 50 and I know where supers and subs holdover is for 100.

What optics are ya'll using on the CZ. I have a little FFP 4-8X and it's not useful at 300 yards. I shoot my CZ457 suppressed. I don't know how well it would do at 200 much less 300. Great at 100. Sighted in at 50 and I know where supers and subs holdover is for 100.
A 457 should do pretty well at 2-300+. Any good long range scope will do well, though make sure the parallax can be set close enough for you. Some don't go below 50yd. FFP, exposed turrets, a Christmas tree reticle, adjustable parallax, and something around a 5-25 magnification range is pretty typical.

I run a Vortex Strike Eagle on my Vudoo. The glass isn't the greatest, but it's fine for the ranges I shoot a 22 at. It's a solid balance of price, features, and clarity for a 22 in my opinion.

Lots of people run ATACRs. I see a few ZCOs, some Razors, and the occasional Leupold Mk5 and Kahles at matches. On the lower end I see some Burris Match Pros, the occasional Strike Eagle and Viper, and some Arkens.

The range up in La Grange 👀 feeling like a poet tonight I guess, is talking about having .22LR steel matches soon and I'm thinking about embarrassing myself, I mean shooting, in a match. I've never done that. La Grange, TX btw Same place as the ZZ Top song (true story btw). I'm not a member there but I'm thinking about changing that. Their range is closer than the range I shoot at now by almost 30 min or more and they have steel competitions for pistol every month. I like shooting my pistols (prefer rifles) but contests with pistols are not my thing unless I'm reading a Louis L'Amour novel.

I'm Nightforce poor, I could move one from a rifle that I don't shoot often. I think I'll check out the Vortex Strike Eagle instead. I have a bad habit of moving a Nightforce NXS from one rifle to the next and then replacing it. If I had a wife I probably wouldn't have her for long. The only one I've had cost more than a Nightforce scope though.

Burris HD 3-15x50 . Use the strada wires reticle as much as I can before beginning to dial up. Have upper wire above cross set at fifty, cross is 75. Third \bottom wire is 200. Have to dial for 300. You run out of come up very fast. Most CZ bolt guns are very accurate out of the box. Wind is the problem hitting at distance. Get a nice calm day and two hundred yards isn't much problem. I use a clamp on air gun pic rail to gain 40 MOA before mounting the scope.

Last edited:
I'll admit to flinging lead at a 6" steel plate at 200 and 300 yards. The 8x scope was not helpful, which is why I'm considering a change. If I remember right the ballistic solver I use said holdover at 200 is 45". I was guessing at muzzle felocity.

I'll admit to flinging lead at a 6" steel plate at 200 and 300 yards. The 8x scope was not helpful, which is why I'm considering a change. If I remember right the ballistic solver I use said holdover at 200 is 45". I was guessing at muzzle felocity.
Yeah, 22LR is more of a mortar round at distance😁. I think I make over two full Revolutions on the turret to get to three hundred. But, if you can hit at three hundred with a22lr hitting at 1000 with a good center fire rifle is no harder, mostly easier.

Lots Athlons here at NRL and ELR. I bought the Athlon Tac HD 5-25x 56 this spring for my CZ457, while my Vortex SE was in the mail to Vortex turrent issue.
Except for the smallish capped windage knob, the Tac HD is the best $800 spent on glass for me,110 MOA/32 mil elevation, very forgiving parallax adusjtments between targets. glass is on par with my NX8 4-32 before and after cateract surgery this last month.Arken ep-5 and Vortex SE ,niether had acceptable parallax, clarity on retical before and after.I thintk the best $1000 -$1400 scope for 22lr is Burris XTR3 and the Athlon Ares GenII's(same glass as TAC HD,better knobs,but $400 more).My new scope will be a Tract Toric,due in August,amazing value for $1500
Factory CZ's, Cz 455 on left,CZ457 varmint on right.The match before, I sarted at 400m,next stage is hostage target at 50m,my parnter and I, Strike Eagles didn't come down to 50m without some tity twisting and a few spankings.

Attachments

• Tappan Hill 7-17-22.jpg
    Tappan Hill 7-17-22.jpg
    563.3 KB · Views: 67
Yeah, 22LR is more of a mortar round at distance😁. I think I make over two full Revolutions on the turret to get to three hundred.
Seems that way, but your bullet is probably no higher than 5 feet above the line of sight at it's highest point, less with faster ammo.

Here are some knockdown rams I shot at 450 the day I received them. It was nice that day, no issue toppling them at that distance, at 500 they are a handful. At 450, they are roughly 2moa + size targets. 8.5" high x 12" wide.
If you enlarge the pic, my vertical dispersion was tight, but with wind, I used all of the L-R

Attachments

• 450 rams.jpg
    450 rams.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 64