Shooting Sling and POI

I did a little bit of shooting today with my .270 while using a military style shooting sling. The accuracy was great but the group was about 2" low at 100 yards.

The rifle is pressure bedded at the tip of the forend because this particular rifle shoots far better this way than free floated.

Is it fairly certain that the rifle was shooting low because it isn't free floated and that a free floated rifle with a stiffer stock wouldn't show the same tendency? Or, is this the effect of the sling holding the rifle from moving up under recoil?

I think you've already hit the nail on the head.

Pressure bedded, pulling the stock away from the barrel. Even just the slightest amount can move the barrel enough to make shots hit a little lower.

The change in recoil because of the sling is probably doing this too, to an extent, but I am seriously doubting 2" worth at 100 yds.

A test you can try is to shoot off a bench/sandbag rest letting the rifle "free recoil". Then shoot off the same bench/bag rest and tightly hold the forend down against the front bag (being careful to hold the stock only, not the barrel too). You may see a difference, but again; doubt it's 2" at 100 yds.

I plan to soon have a rifle re-done. It'a a sporter with a light barrel. I plan to keep a light barrel, but will ask the smith to put on the lightest possible barrel than can still be free floated and shoot good. I don't want any stock pressure against a barrel. I've seen too many rifles that shot inconsistent or shot groups way bigger than desired due to the stock touching the barrel (granted, they mostly have been light varmint weight barrels, and they shot alot better after being free floated).

Last edited:
Thanks for the thorough response. Part of why I'm asking the question is that I'm debating whether I might replace the rifle or not. It shoots quite accurately. The group I shot yesterday that landed two inches lower than expected was 1.75" for five shots but 4 shots landed in a group of 0.81"

The rifle being pressure bedded and having a two piece stock (Ruger #1B) is likely always going to show this habit is my guess. My other consideration is to use a donor 700 action I have a on hand and a stainless custom barrel (also on hand) and bed it into a Bell and Carlson Medallist or something like it with an aluminum bedding block. This would hopefully produce the same POI with or without the bipod or sling.

Having said that, I'd hate to spend the time and money on this project and not have something better than what I'm already using and enjoying.

I've seen some Ruger #1's shoot really good, but they were custom HEAVY barrels. And when I saw them in use they were being shot off of sandbags/bench and basically "free recoiling".

If you are shooting sling and pulling tight against the stock (probably barrel too on a #1) I'd bet that was the issue.

You can probably eliminate that my just changing your shooting style (with this particular rifle anyway).

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.