Changing POI Bags/Sled to offhand? Using sling?

Losthwy

Sighting in at 200 yd with sand bags or a rifle rest/sled will the POI change when out hunting and shooting offhand? Will the use of sling during hunting, not used with sand bags, have effect? Max range shooting is 400 yd.

some questions first:

What kind of stock?
Free floated barrel?
Where do you put the front bag?
What's your cheek weld like?
What shooting positions do you practice?

1. Two rifles-One Tikka T3 stock, other Bansner stock
2. Yes
3. One 15" bag under forearm
4. ?
5. Mainly sitting

Once your load development is done I always think it's best to shoot it the same way you will in the field when sighting in.

Whether we like to admit it or not we don't always drive the rifle the same in every position and it's going to be substantially different once you dismount it from the lead sled to shoot rested or freehand.

Sighting in at 200 yd with sand bags or a rifle rest/sled will the POI change when out hunting and shooting offhand? Will the use of sling during hunting, not used with sand bags, have effect? Max range shooting is 400 yd.

Yes and no. I load test from a bench rest and sight in from bipod. One of my rifles that likes to be shot firm grip with a loaded pod shows a slight impact change from bench to pod. I notice this because I am able to hold 1/2 moa or better from a pod. If I were shooting offhand its a non issue because I cant shoot accurately enough offhand to tell the difference.

Yes there will be a POI difference going from rest/sandbags to sitting position. I can't find my notes on how much difference for me, but there will be a difference. Each person is different I imagine so you will need to shoot your ranges from the sitting position and take notes. I use a tall bipod and have it extended almost all the way. I'm glad I'm not the only one shooting longer ranges from the sitting position. I can't offer any advice on sling shooting as I don't practice that. Maybe someone else can.

Yes but a noticeable amount at out to 400? I don't think you'll have a prob. Gunwerks did a video about it. The shot off a bench and then prone with a bi pod. There was a POI change.

Different shooting position means you have a different relation to the rifle, which in turn means your POI must change accordingly, what the means in the real world only you can answer.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts