Shooting Rest for sighting in rifles

Rhunter2

I have a lead sled that I get good results out of but i read a lot of negative comments about them so i am going to buy something different. I was looking at a few different bags/rests. The first was a dog gone good medium with a wedge. I was also looking at possibly a Caldwell Rock Deluxe mechanical front and get a wedge rear bag. Or i could go a cheaper route and pick up a bullsbag. I am not a competitive shooter. I am just mostly wanting to be able to sight my guns as well as possible without fear of POI changing when in the field.

I am just mostly wanting to be able to sight my guns as well as possible without fear of POI changing when in the field.

90% of my shots in the field are with a bipod - so I use that same bipod with a rear bag for my load work ups and practicing. Until I start shooting game off a bench I see no reason to work up or practice off a bench.

Sighting your rifle in is not the same as practicing for hunting in the field. You sight the rifle in to find center mass. You should then move on to practicing precisely what you do in the field. You wouldn't take a Lead Sled to the field for hunting. It'll work to analyzie load capability but when that's done put it away and train yourself to shoot as well without it as you may do with it.

My post must be worded poorly. I am not looking for information on shooting in hunting situations. I am adequate in that area. I am looking for information on rests to make sure my rifle is as zeroed as possible when I practice for hunting situations. Thanks.

My post must be worded poorly. I am not looking for information on shooting in hunting situations. I am adequate in that area. I am looking for information on rests to make sure my rifle is as zeroed as possible when I practice for hunting situations. Thanks.

A quality adjustable front rest and a good solid rear bag would be a good start. Both should fit or adjust to fit your stock for best results. Let your budget be your guide to quality and cost.

Just be aware your POI may vary from bench to hunting applications.

I like a bulls style front bag and leather bunny ear rear bag. My front bag is a little to low so I threw together a 5" riser out of scrap wood I had laying around to set the Bulls bag on. I think a lot of the newer bulls bags are taller eliminating this issue. I don't use a bypod when hunting so I prefer this method. The mechanical front rests that I've seen have metal pointed feet that would not lend themselves to use on a truck hood if the situation arose. I think my front bag might be a Uncle Bud's but I can't swear to that.

I have the original and has been using it for awhile now with very good success. I understand that this is not for everybody but when used properly it can be beneficial to end-users.

I used mine primarily for barrel break-in (I can transition from shooting to cleaning and back to shooting with ease) and load development. Once I'm satisfied with my load/sight-in, I switch to my hunting set up (prone with bipod) and make any adjustments accordingly.

HPIM3744.jpg

I start to think about my rifle zero as soon as, or even before I settle on my load and rifle set-up. All initial load work, tall test, velocity testing, etc, as well as the consistency of the rifles zero is established at the bench using the same Caldwell front and Sinclair bunny ear, wood based rear rest I use for Benchrest shooting. Once I'm convinced of the consistency, I will confirm this zero using the same positions that I use when hunting and understand changes in POI due to changes in position. For most all my LRH rigs(and competition) my prone position zero will impact 1-2 clicks lower then any of the upright positions. Perhaps too radical a requirement, but once my zero is established, I don't expect it to change using my lot controlled components.

I have a lead sled that I get good results out of but i read a lot of negative comments about them so i am going to buy something different. I was looking at a few different bags/rests. The first was a dog gone good medium with a wedge. I was also looking at possibly a Caldwell Rock Deluxe mechanical front and get a wedge rear bag. Or i could go a cheaper route and pick up a bullsbag. I am not a competitive shooter. I am just mostly wanting to be able to sight my guns as well as possible without fear of POI changing when in the field.

I didnt see anyone mention it so I guess I will. What you need to be concerned about is harmonics. I would do some research on the subject of rifle harmonics and its effect of POI. Theres nothing wrong with using a sled, or bipod or the sniper cradle, a bag, or a tripod, or whatever you fancy is. Just know it affects the POI due to harmonic variations. If you are serious about precision then however you plan on primarily shooting, that should be the way you zero and shoot. If you plan on hunting but arent sure how you will be stabilizing the rifle...try a few things out with the same zero...a lot of techniques don't have that much deviation in POI some have a lot.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.