Shooting bag help wanted

Just a hunter

I would like advice on what you folks would recommend for an easy to carry stable set of front and rear bags. I have a Sled but want to get a setup where I am more in control so hopefully it will increase my ability. Are the inexpensive Caldwell and the likes sufficient or is there better that I should be looking at? I would be willing to put $200-$250 in something if you can tell me that it's going to be worth it. I should mention that I am just talking about shooting from a bench/table not PRS style. I should also add that all my rifles are Remington factory style stocks, narrow buttstock and forend.

Thank you for any help!

Last edited:
It really depends on what the end goal is. If you are getting better marksmanship skills for hunting, or to get better at shooting from a bench. I'm not trying to be snarky, just trying to figure out a system for you to get the most bang out of your buck.

It really depends on what the end goal is. If you are getting better marksmanship skills for hunting, or to get better at shooting from a bench. I'm not trying to be snarky, just trying to figure out a system for you to get the most bang out of your buck.
Well I think getting better at shooting from a bench would help with hunting skills as well. I want to work on breaking the trigger cleanly and my follow through as well as my breathing and basically just practice and get more time in. I don't want everything locked down to where I am basically just squeezing the trigger though. I feel like practice is what I need more than anything at this point. Make sense?

Well I think getting better at shooting from a bench would help with hunting skills as well. I want to work on breaking the trigger cleanly and my follow through as well as my breathing and basically just practice and get more time in. I don't want everything locked down to where I am basically just squeezing the trigger though. I feel like practice is what I need more than anything at this point. Make sense?
It can but that depends on how you hunt and at what distances. so if you shoot offhand more while hunting bench time will tell you how accurate your rifle is, but may not help much on accuracy. So I'll make this easy. On my lightweight carry, do all 30-06 I have a good sling with keepers so I can sling tight when needed and adjust length. No bipod I shoot with either shooting sticks or off my backpack prone. I'll also shoot standing, kneeling, or prone with the sling. With that rifle I'll shoot off my backpack on the bench with either the sling, or a rear shooting bag. If you want to get better on a bench then a good shooting bag or even a benchrest style rest can be nice. Range of 400 yards or beyond a rear bag is a good thing to have. Bench time can be good, but dry firing from shooting positions can be more useful if done safely.

On my long range rifles I have various length bipods even though I don't care for bipods much. On the bench I use the 6-9" Harris with a rear bag. Prone I use a longer version because it's more comfortable for me.

If you're having a lot of trouble shooting small groups and it's discouraging you then I'd look into Caldwell shooting bags. I saw them at my local gun store for around 40 bucks. I haven't used them but they looked good to me. I'd use them on the bench to get some practice with trigger control. Dry firing with them should really help with getting smaller groups.

Here's what I do for THAT type of practice ... I just use a single, large (length) Caldwell 'Tackdriver' bag, where my support hand is rested on the bag. No rear bag. Now I will shoot with a rear bag for load development, sometimes even using a shooting rest up front, but once I know the rifle will shoot ... then the practice shooting is for me.

Tip - I don't overfill the bag, this allows the different sides to be of different heights, and I used a coarse sand as I don't have to carry it far. Some use plastic pellets and I know one guy who used those wood pellets.

Caldwell TackDriver Filled Shooting Bag - 644465, Shooting ...

Caldwell TackDriver Filled Shooting Bag - 644465

Thank you to everyone for your advice and help. I will be developing loads so I will use it for that as well.

My own version of the Fortune Cookie and Dog Bone bags. Done in cow hide but I have others in exotic leathers like black wildebeest. Both bags together weigh under a pound.

ballisticxlrshootingbags.jpg

I can have more made. They're $250 for a set. All the work is done by hand by the daughter of a close friend of mine, no machines used in manufacture. These are the ultimate in light weight and functionality with a lot more class and a decent bit more durability than codura nylon. I use these for hunting in South Africa and for competition here in the states.

I would like advice on what you folks would recommend for an easy to carry stable set of front and rear bags. I have a Sled but want to get a setup where I am more in control so hopefully it will increase my ability. Are the inexpensive Caldwell and the likes sufficient or is there better that I should be looking at? I would be willing to put $200-$250 in something if you can tell me that it's going to be worth it. I should mention that I am just talking about shooting from a bench/table not PRS style. I should also add that all my rifles are Remington factory style stocks, narrow buttstock and forend.

Thank you for any help!
A relatively heavy (cast iron) tripod front rest with a sporter bag and a fairly well filled heavy 5/8-to-3/4-inch spacing between the ears rear rabbit ear Bald Eagle bag, Can you use your body / hold to replace the rigidness of the sled? Check out the Sinclair front rests and if you want a co axial control stick rest then there are those out there at a pretty high price.

In my experience light weight and accuracy don't go together well. There are several makers of sand bags, protektor comes to mind. I have used a #7 style front bag, with a #13 style rear bag filled with sand for close to 45 years. But that's just me. Had a buddy with caldwell bags filled with walnut media, I didn't care for them at all

You can practice the heck out this at your kitchen table doing dry fire exercises.....keep your eye in the scope on target...once you can consecutively (say 20 times in a row for arguement sake) break the trigger with no wobble...go live! Bags...whatever works...Caldwell is good enough to start.