Kid shooting with bi focal glasses help

Coloradomuley

Hi guys my son is turning 5 and loves to shoot. He was diagnosed and had cataract surgery last year now has implants and wears glasses with bi focal. So we have been shooting a lot with mostly open site 22 rifles a Henry cricket and win 94 22. With the open sites he has really struggled to be able to hit targets consistently and I think the main trouble is that either the target or the sites are out of focus. So for his 5th birthday coming up soon purchased a CZ 457 with the Boyd's full adjustable stock on it it has a cheek riser and LOP adjustments and I think he should be able to do well with it. My thinking is that if he could start shooting a optic it might help him hit far more consistently. I have considered a full on high end scope with good paralax adjustment or a red dot to get him going with no eye relief. I was hoping some one else has been through something similar or maybe an older shooter that has bi focal glasses could give me some insight on how to help my son out. Thanks

How long has he had the bifocals? It took me almost 3 months to adjust and shoot with mine.

He has had them about 6-7 months. I think if he would have had more experience before he would have done better after the surgery and glasses. Plus he is still pretty young so it makes it that much harder

Dang, I really hate that for your son and you but glad you're doing what you're doing. I say buy a scope that will adjust down to 50 yards or less and let him adjust to the glasses. I'm going through the same thing in a since, been far sighted a long time and was using readers, about 7 months ago got tri focals, still getting used to it. My wife had lens replacement in both eyes due to cataracts in December and has great vision now, I'm jealous.

I would just give it time, like you said, he is still young and with the adjustments I wouldn't get too concerned. Not sure I would go out and get a high end optic at his age? Maybe by 7 or 8?

Or spend the money on a separate set of single vision shooting glasses.....
They may have put the bifocals right where he needs to see thru his glasses at the sights.....
I myself have tri vocals...was a bear to get used to.....i shoot much better with my single lense prescription sunglasses....
Could also tint them for him...cuts out some of the glare...and maybe polarized.....

For open sights, some get glasses with the focal point higher than normal, since your head is cocked over and down.
With MY cataract surgery, the lens is good for everything except up close. That means the upper part of a bifocal is simply clear glass, so no focal point.
The lower part is what is needed for iron sights, so try a few different magnification levels (readers) until you find a pair that works.
or, you can try this: http://www.champchoice.com/store/Ma.../store/Main.aspx?p=ItemDetailOptions&item=390

I'm an ophthalmologist/cataract surgeon and deal with this all the time. He will do MUCH better with an optic than with open sights. With open sights you have 2 different focal planes that need to be used and it can be a struggle with a bifocal. In an optic situation you only have one focal plane to worry about and when dialed in correctly with the eyepiece focus. Any scope will work for him without issue and he can even dial the eyepiece focus in for use without glasses. A red dot or holographic sight will also work as they project your aim point to a distance focus.

When he's older he can likely be fitted with a multifocal contact to get him out of the bifocal. I don't recommend contacts until they can care for them theirselves.

Good luck and feel free to reach out to me if you have any more questions.

Hi guys my son is turning 5 and loves to shoot. He was diagnosed and had cataract surgery last year now has implants and wears glasses with bi focal. So we have been shooting a lot with mostly open site 22 rifles a Henry cricket and win 94 22. With the open sites he has really struggled to be able to hit targets consistently and I think the main trouble is that either the target or the sites are out of focus. So for his 5th birthday coming up soon purchased a CZ 457 with the Boyd's full adjustable stock on it it has a cheek riser and LOP adjustments and I think he should be able to do well with it. My thinking is that if he could start shooting a optic it might help him hit far more consistently. I have considered a full on high end scope with good paralax adjustment or a red dot to get him going with no eye relief. I was hoping some one else has been through something similar or maybe an older shooter that has bi focal glasses could give me some insight on how to help my son out. Thanks

I've worn trifocals for about 25 years. I have scopes or red dots on all rifles except my old model 94. When I try to shoot it if I look through the upper lens, I can see the target and the front sight but the rear sight is blurry. If I try the next lower lens, the rear is sight clear but everything else is blurry. I still shoot it once in a while just for old times sake. Single lens glasses are fine for scope shooting, but make it difficult to do close work like reading an ammo box or loading a 22. I've settled on scopes and red dots and wearing the trifocals. If the line between the upper and lower lens on your son's glasses is high enough to get in the way when shooting with a scope, you might try having a pair made with the line lower, so he can shoot easily and still see to do close work.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.