Shooting at a milk jug at 1760 yard (1 mile) with 15x scope, reasonable?

Sandfrog

I'm a first time long range shooter. I found a great variable FFP scope that came highly recommended for 1000+ yard shooting just within budget at $700. My question I wasn't able to ask was if a milk jug at 1760 yards can be seen through this scope (with OK vision) to shoot? I know there may be better scopes suited for the situation, but I'm hoping to find out if generally speaking 15x is enough? Here is the scope:

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-3-15x42-tactical-rifle-scope-3.html

I'm a first time long range shooter. I found a great variable FFP scope that came highly recommended for 1000+ yard shooting just within budget at $700. My question I wasn't able to ask was if a milk jug at 1760 yards can be seen through this scope (with OK vision) to shoot? I know there may be better scopes suited for the situation, but I'm hoping to find out if generally speaking 15x is enough? Here is the scope:

I haven't shot to 1760 yards, but I do have a version of that same scope, and I am quite skeptical it would work well on that small a target. #1 it's not the clearest glass, and #2 that is really little magnification.

I believe Kirby Allen shot a rock chuck (might be another varmint species though) at 2300 yds with a 3x15 NXS at the jamboree a bunch of years ago. 15x is on the low side for that yardage however it can be done

If you dye the water in the jug to provide high contrast against the background you'll have no issues. I shot at a coyote at 1815 a few weeks ago with a 3-15 Burris XTR2 and had no problems getting a good enough sight picture to sling some lead.

Appreciate the thoughts all.

Browning, great idea. I thought about putting up a fluorescent 6x6' board behind it to help as well.

Yeah, very weary of the 15x. It would have to be a pretty fine reticle. My other thought was the Vortex PST 24x which is the same price, but I'm hearing and reading about 1/10 have had to send theirs in for warranty at some point or another. Bit more than I'm comfortable with.

If you haven't bought a scope get the vortex. I have a ton of vortex scopes i think around 12-13 with out looking and my stuff gets used hard real hard and i have had no problem at all. I have had a SS 10X years ago and had a problem with it the ring with the dot on it around the turret came lose. But hands down the vortex is a better buy but i would not buy a FFP!!!!!!!!!!!!! now a days i only buy Night force are vortex.

I use an older Nightforce 12x42-56 on a groundhog rifle. Just as I was packing up one day I noticed 3 crows siting in a dead tree. My laser range finder had them at 500 yds. There was a solid hill right behind the tree so I figured; why not?

One shot from the 6mmAI and I watched one of the crows tumble to the ground as the others flew off. Out of curiosity, I glanced down at the scope to see what magnification I had it set on and was quite surprised to notice that it was at the lowest power setting (12X).

That is the day that I realized that resolution is far more important than magnification.

If 12x is sufficient for a small crow at 500yds than 15x should be sufficient for a jug at 1,000 yds. Assuming, of course, that you have good resolution at that distance.

BTW - shooting at a mile is waaaay above my pay grade so maybe someone else can address that for you.

A high quality 15x is better than a mediocre 24x at any range. I have a 6.5x338 Rum Improved with a Sightron SIII 3.5-10x44 scope mounted on there that I regularly shoot MOA targets to a mile with. I just happened to have that scope sitting around unused so I threw it on the rifle and it works great. I shoot my 284 Win specialty pistol with a 6.5-20x50 Mk4 to 1400 yards very often and I typically have the power set on 12x for that.

Check out a new or used Sightron. I've never been impressed with any of the Vortex scopes I've owned. They weren't bad, I just wanted them to be better. The Sightrons have always had better glass to my eyes.

I set up a milk jug a little over 2400 yards a few years back, can't remember the exact distance, but anyways was using a Sightron SIII 6-24x50. Rifle was my 338 Edge imp. and to get all the elevation needed I dialed everything I had and turned the scope down to 6x to quadruple my moa reticle value to hold over and get the elevation required to make the shot. I have good vision and had no problem placing the reticle on the jug and was able to spot most of my shots as well. Like some one already mentioned glass quality is more important than high scope magnification. I'm trying to sell 2 of my SIII's at a good price right now just haven't put them in the classifieds yet PM me if your interested.

I actually found some pics I took through the scope. I believe I had it on 7x when the pic was taken. I had not put the milk jug out yet as I was scouting a for a spot to place it. I ended up placing the jug next to the rock low left of the reticle center. Just off rough memory as the pic was taken 6 years ago I think the rock dimensions were about 3'x1'.

image.jpg

Wrong pic that was my .308 win on a 1200 yard target at 14x

Here is the pic I was trying to post

image.jpg

Here is a pic from my shooting position, it is the center hill directly behind the field that you can see just slightly with the yellow colored native grass. I can only post one pic at a time from my phone.

image.jpg

I have this exact SWFA scope on my upgraded 6.5 Creedmoor Ruger American Predator. I wanted a scope that, like the rifle, was a great buy for the money and it certainly is. GREAT glass. Nice mil hash & diamond reticle and decent turrets.

I put a Boyd's laminated Classic stock on the rifle, a metal Savage 110 metal trigger guard and a Timney trigger. Now it is a higher class rifle in performance, feel and looks.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts