Shooter app help

upacreek

So I finally have a reliable load. All my shooter inputs are dialed in and when shooting at home, any distance is reliable.
My question is once in the mountains I will no longer have internet service to enter baro and humidity. Altitude could be obtained, but everything points to altitude not being as helpful.
What is the best way to enter data in the mountains?. Currently I am confident to 1100yards sub .5moa. But in the hills 500yards is Max until I can understand how to have reliable data to enter.
I don't have a kestrel.

Caldwell makes an inexpensive wind meter that also provides very reliable temp and station pressure for your current location. Had mine for over a year with no issues.
Also have a Leica 1600B rangefinder that gives the same info, plus shooting angle.

Buy a Kestrel 4500 AB or the newer model 5700 with AB. It will give you the best solutions plus high and low wind solutions. It is also a great tool in helping you learn how to judge the wind. Add the 1600 and your golden.

Since I am going hunting Friday morning there will be no time to buy additional parts. So basically the app is useless in the Hills?

If you have an accurate altitude{within 500-1000ft) and temperature and set your humidity to 55%, load this in Shooter and it will work fine to 1000 yards. Humidity is a very minor contributor in the calculation.

You can always check the closest location right before you drive out of cell range. Odds are that will get you close enough with regard to weather data, especially if you are traveling a fair distance. If you don't have any other tools on you, that's a reasonable way to do it.

Using barometric pressure from the internet is worthless for shooting because they are corrected for sea level. If they didn't do this, higher elevations would continually look like a low pressure system.
My local weather report will show 29-30inHg current readings when it is in fact closer to 26inHg(4000'). At 8000' it drops to around 22inHg. I Use the Leica 1600B as mentioned previously and also have a cheap timex watch that correlates pretty well with the Leica and isn't too shabby for elevation once you calibrate it.
You'll also want to correct your shooter zero data if you have ~30inHg entered unless you're zeroed at sea level.

Last edited:
Get the barometer app and use the station pressure. Sea level is worthless unless well your at sea level. Use it for your sighted in data for bullet then When you change elevation you can put new pressure and it corrects. Hope that makes sense.

If you have an accurate altitude{within 500-1000ft) and temperature and set your humidity to 55%, load this in Shooter and it will work fine to 1000 yards. Humidity is a very minor contributor in the calculation.

I know you already went on your hunt, but for future reference Greyfox has it right here.

Barometric pressure very rarely varies from a standard atmosphere by more than 1" or mercury. If you check you app you will see that adding or subtracting 1" to your pressure will change you POI even out to 1000 yards by somewhere from .25 moa to .50 depending on your bullet and velocity. So if you get your altitude right that will get you very close.

Get the barometer app and use the station pressure. Sea level is worthless unless well your at sea level. Use it for your sighted in data for bullet then When you change elevation you can put new pressure and it corrects. Hope that makes sense.

Definitely use Station psi. You can do a 3 day average and see how much it changes. Your Bullets ability to fly to your target will be greatly affected on long range shots not using Station psi.

If you've been shooting what you say you are shooting at 1,000 yds without an app. You've already had to contend with wind. A 500 yd poke should be easy to read the wind. I'd be more concerned of judging angle and distance in the hills. You didn't mention your caliber but I'm assuming you are using a big enough gun to get you out to 1k. BP is an issue but not that big of one for a 1k gun.

Went on my hunt and all went well took a bull at 5800' elevation. Hit it 3 times. Elevation was perfect. Judging wind at 630yards across the canyon wasn't as easy as it looked. Bullet drifted. I was devastated I shot 4 times to put it down.
The gun is a 7RM with Lilja tube and 180 Berger's at 3030fps. My 12yr old took a spike a couple days later at 398yards with his 7WSM. It was a good hunt. Gonna have to work a little more on the app inputs. Thanks guys!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.