Shooter app insight please

fatrack

Hey Guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I have found my Sightron 6-24-50 scope click value to be 0.275 (MOA) and not the standard 0.25. No big deal as long as the value is known. I ran Exbal for quite awhile and was never able to get it to work properly even after consulting Gerald (this thread was about that).

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/exbal-insight-76039/

So heres my question. I downloaded Shooter because I thought I could enter custom scope inputs but I haven't been able to. When I go to "Elevation Turret Grad" it won't allow me into input 0.275. It only offers 1/4 and then 1/3. Is there a way to do it?

If not what ballistic app would you recommend that allows me to enter my scopes exact value?

Thanks for the insight/recommendations.

Shooter does it and does it well. Go down on the rifle page to "Turret elevation calibration" It is set at 1.0 for perfect .25 moa. Enter your error equivalent there. If my math is correct you should enter 1.025

Jeff

Broz is correct except I think the way you would calibrate is you divide the labeled click value by the actual measured value. In this instance .25moa/.275actual moa. This gives a correction value of 0.909, which is what you should enter into shooter.

The program will figure the elevation you need and then multiply that by the correction factor. It is labeled value divided by actual value. If you forget which one is being divided just remember that if your turret is giving you extra elevation with each click, the correction factor should be less than 1, reducing what you dial. If your turret is shorting you each click, the correction factor should be more than one, increasing what you dial to make up for the shortfall in each click.

By the way, how do you know it us .275? And to be clear your correction factor must be using the same units, so if your scope is in moa you need to measure how much each click is in moa, not inches. You probably did it that way but just wanted to be sure.

Your welcome, I have learned a ton from your posts here. I feel I may have insulted you unintentionally once here and I don't think I have ever apologized for it, so I'll do that now. I get excited about this stuff and passionate about thus discipline and sometimes that doesn't translate well over the internet...in short, if in the past I have offended you while defending some esoteric belief about this sport then I am sorry, it was unintentional. Having read most of your posts here I know that we are very similar in our love of shooting, dedication to doing it right, and most likely our other beliefs as well. The difference is you have far more experience at it than I do! Thanks again to your contributions to the long range community.

Hey KYpatriot,

I was messing around entering values much higher and lower than 1 just to see what the output was and I think 0.909 is on the money.

How do I know what my value is? Good question! I must add a waiver here because I did it several years ago and then had two boys and have been on "Shooting Hiatus" since so I'm having to revisit my notes and my memory.

I measured 100 yards with my rangefinder (Swaro) and then shot a group, dialed a bunch of come up and shot another group and repeated several times. I then measured the distance in inches between the groups and took the average and then divided the number of clicks (1/4MOA) into the number of inches . My understanding is it should be 1.047 inches per click which it wasn't (more travel than 1.047") and somehow I came up with 0.275.

I spent a lot of time on this and burned up a lot of brain cells trying to get everything to jive (even spent time on the phone with the Sightron tech).

Thanks for the assistance on this!

I think you meant 1.047 inches for 1moa, which is correct. So 1/4 moa clicks would be 0.262 inches per click. So if you measured correctly it does sound like you are getting a little extra per click, and it adds up quickly doesn't it?

The only way to know for sure is to shoot it at long range. The bullet never lies, though we sometimes misinterpret what it is telling us. If .909 works then great you are off and running!

KY, I have no memories of any insulting posts. We are good and thanks for the kind words. It is not the first time I have figured turret calibration in reverse. It seem I get it backwards a lot.:rolleyes: But I usually know my actual field drops as well and can see if a change in turret calibration factor is taking me the right way. It does show a pattern, and usually the pattern gets farther off the more we dial. But I guess it is a multiplying error, so that all is a given.

Thanks again.

Jeff

I don't know the proper number to put in but it is done in the firearm profile set up page in the elevation correction field. the number listed is 1 if your turrets are accurate.

here is the manual, Operation Manual for Shooter

the guy that designed the app is on snipershide you maybe able to find him and ask him. when i first started he was really helpfull

i have used shooter for a number of years now and like it allot. Hope it works out for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.