Shoot through tape on your barrel?

I'm convinced it works just fine, and will not cause a Miss at close range. ( 50 to 75 yards ) Next rain or snow, electrical tape over the end of the barrel for me.

Attachments

• The new Blind  W. Virg  Dec 2020.jpeg
    The new Blind W. Virg Dec 2020.jpeg
    85.6 KB · Views: 96
For those of you that protect your muzzle with things like tape or plastic wrap (condom if you will) do you shoot through it if the time arises? I'm not talking about a 1000 yard precision shot but if you were within let's say 100-200 yards of your game would you take a few seconds and remove the obstruction (tape) or just leave it on and pull the trigger?

I have heard people say that the blast would most likely push the tape off but I'm in the school of thought you never shoot with an obstruction in the barrel. Just curious of real world experiences.
Do it all the time. Granted, I use 1 layer of paper tape on the muzzle. I use to do this with a condom when I was in the military. Never had an issue. Didnt do shots over 300 yards either.

I have finger cots and have used them, but they break open often and I find myself replacing them every hour or so. I think I'll just go back to using electrical tape.

For those of you that protect your muzzle with things like tape or plastic wrap (condom if you will) do you shoot through it if the time arises? I'm not talking about a 1000 yard precision shot but if you were within let's say 100-200 yards of your game would you take a few seconds and remove the obstruction (tape) or just leave it on and pull the trigger?

I have heard people say that the blast would most likely push the tape off but I'm in the school of thought you never shoot with an obstruction in the barrel. Just curious of real world experiences.
I always use when hunting. Keeps out the rain,dirt and other matter. I'm using kids balloons now with a piece of tape around the barrel to hold them on. I've had both results. Shooting right through the rubber or with a brake they usually blow off.

Tried the finger cots when I muzzleload hunt and were a big disappointment. I'd look at the muzzle after going through wet brush and it would be torn.
One piece of black electrical tape over the crown and a spiral wrap over the tag ends of the crown tape.
I do this rain or shine.

I've taped plain muzzles and multi port brakes. Shot em all at the range in the interest of "what's that gonna do?" Tape is always gone, no diff in poi. Started taping after my 12 old fell muzzle first into the snow on his first hunt. Collapsible rod in my pack, but better to just prevent the issue.

I use a condom on the muzzle loader and can see no negative effect— keeps my powder dry—

thanks for the intel fellas. This week was my first time ever doing the electrical tape thing. Normally I just carry my rifle but I was hiking in almost 10 miles and didn't want to carry the gun so I attached it to the pack and taped the muzzle. It was on the back of my mind the whole time if I should remove it if I get a shot. Never got a shot off so I didn't have to worry about it but I was thinking I would remove the tape if I needed to. Guess I don't need to….thanks
Always used scotch tape or masking tape

Always. I have done this for the past 15 years or so. I prefer blue painters tape since it doesnt leave a residue or harsh chemicals on my nice blued guns. They all shoot fine with zero shifts. From a mechanical standpoint, the pressure takes the path of least resistance. The tape is NOT stronger than the action, bolt or barrel therefore, it all goes out the end the same. I used it on rifles with brakes too, same story. The blue painters tape is easier to take off at the end of the hunt to wipe the gun down too. I never hunt foul weather without it.