Shoot through tape on your barrel?

When I was in the 4th grade I saw a few movies that showed aircraft taped gun barrels at the moment where shots were fired at the enemy. I was told the tape was placed over the gun barrels to prevent dust, mud, debris or whatever from entering to gun barrels when a big bunch of airplanes took off. I thought it was cool when slugs ripped off the tape. I reported this stuff back to headquarters (family gun people) and this started a big debate. A few months later, upon getting permission, I covered the muzzle of my Mossberg .22 with a single layer of the old fabric electrical tape and shot at a paper target & hit where I was aiming for. A bore inspection followed & no damage was seen.

Have used finger cots, gloves fingers, and masking tape in wet weather for decades with no problem. Never did a controlled study long range study, however. A cover is easily blown off by expanding games it seems.

i normally sacrifice a latex glove and cut off the fingers then a simple band of electrical tape to hold it on. works better when you leave the brake on the end of the barrel than wrapping the brake with tape. the finger just pops with the shot. still shoots great.

For those of you that protect your muzzle with things like tape or plastic wrap (condom if you will) do you shoot through it if the time arises? I'm not talking about a 1000 yard precision shot but if you were within let's say 100-200 yards of your game would you take a few seconds and remove the obstruction (tape) or just leave it on and pull the trigger?

I have heard people say that the blast would most likely push the tape off but I'm in the school of thought you never shoot with an obstruction in the barrel. Just curious of real world experiences.
I have been shooting through electrical tape for 40 years without any issues. Longest shot was 400ydsish.

For those of you that protect your muzzle with things like tape or plastic wrap (condom if you will) do you shoot through it if the time arises? I'm not talking about a 1000 yard precision shot but if you were within let's say 100-200 yards of your game would you take a few seconds and remove the obstruction (tape) or just leave it on and pull the trigger?

I have heard people say that the blast would most likely push the tape off but I'm in the school of thought you never shoot with an obstruction in the barrel. Just curious of real world experiences.
The tape is actually outside of the barrel, and I believe the column of air in front of the bullet pushes the tape off before the projectile reaches that point.

I for one have used children's balloon's a lot over the years. The smaller ones fit tight over the end of the barrel and when shooting the rushing of air pushed ahead of the bullet blow the balloon open usually open leaving the bullet to leave the barrel free and unobstructed. I've seen people use tape as well as condoms, they all work but balloons are a heck of a lot cheaper than condoms. I don't remember ever hearing of a firearm blowing up using this practice so it should be pretty safe as well at a good way to keep the barrel clear during inclement weather.

I have a brake and prefer to use finger condoms for that reason…. I see no change in POI with my bolt gun.

I am not sure if it would impact a gas blowback?

A column of blank diameter by blank length sits in front of the bullet.
Let's say .308dia x 24" long.
The moment the bullet seals on the rifling a confined column of air is present accelerating to 2600fps (example) at 50,000psi.
While it can be argued it is not an instant 50,000 psi- there are not a lot of tapes or latex gloves that will withstand even a 1000psi.
While some delay of the gasses will take place at some level... it would take some real testing in order to isolate the change.
An air compressor set at 120psi on a small blow gun can pierce your skin.
Tape or latex gloves are a near "zero" event.

In both vids I'm wondering if the tape comes completely off because of gases escaping to the sides of the muzzle brake. W/o brake I'm wondering if tape would still blow completely off or would it stay on with only a hole in the tape where it covers the bore. Anyone know ?

I fell down while dove hunting in 1964. The next time I fired it split 6" of muzzle on the shotgun. My father drove to a gas station where he borrowed a hack saw.

I now deer hunt with a guy who puts electrical tape on his rifle muzzle, and carries a cleaning rod in the truck.

Haven't shot an animal near or far without tape/a nitrile glove finger over a plain muzzle or one with a brake or suppressor in decades. Note the muzzles (zoom in). The column of air in your barrel blows through the tape or nitrile glove finger long before the bullet exits.

Attachments

• 20171006_092500_resized_2.jpg
    20171006_092500_resized_2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 90
  • 20210905_061116.jpg
    20210905_061116.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 91
One more vote for cheap balloons.
Cheap
Keeps everything clear.
Shoot through it if a rushed shot inside of a few hundred yards.
One to two extra seconds at most to yank off for longer shots & easy to put back on