Shoot through tape on your barrel?

The tape/balloon/cot/condom sees the air in the barrel and burnt powder blowby ahead of the bullet. I believe that this blows them off before the bullet gets there. I'd love to see a high speed photo of the process to verify.

For those of you that protect your muzzle with things like tape or plastic wrap (condom if you will) do you shoot through it if the time arises? I'm not talking about a 1000 yard precision shot but if you were within let's say 100-200 yards of your game would you take a few seconds and remove the obstruction (tape) or just leave it on and pull the trigger?

I have heard people say that the blast would most likely push the tape off but I'm in the school of thought you never shoot with an obstruction in the barrel. Just curious of real world experiences.
use a latex finger cote they sell thme on a few web sites like amazon thats what i use you have food grade there blacl and the doctors type is white latex rubber most people use the black to match barrel.

Buddy taped his muzzle brake completely in thinking it would be less blast on the guides near him. Idk if that works?????

Buddy taped his muzzle brake completely in thinking it would be less blast on the guides near him. Idk if that works?????

A guy that was shooting next to me put a SS hose clamp around his muzzle brake to see how an un-braked load would shoot. To his shock & amazement, the SS clamp blew into pieces and flew all over the place. So I wouldn't expect the electric tape to be of any help with sound. The pressure at the brake slats is enormous.

Yea probably blow tape pieces into guy next to you!!! Thinking NEVER cover brake ports would be good warning!

I routinely put a square of the 3M blue "long mask" tape over the muzzle on any rifle, pleated/folded back along barrel just before going out the door to hunt. I routinely shoot through the tape, I carry one or two replacement squares stuck on under side of my scope tubes. I limit myself to 300 yards and have seen no issues with POI changes.

Since I sling rifles muzzle down, it's easy to stumble or duck under a branch and jam muzzle into snow or mud. A friend has a .338 Win mag his kid carried muzzle up during a period with some sleet and drizzle & then fired, there was a ring about 8" back from muzzle where the bullet met the built up moisture...

I also noted the POI change at 100 yards in the video! As shown, that would be a clean miss at the longer ranges. IMO, it was negligent not to address this. As to my own viewpoint, I wouldn't have an issue using tape at the shorter ranges(<200 yards), but would not shoot through tape at the longer ranges. If poor weather, I might use tape, but remove it before I shot. Why add an unnecessary variable?
He had a different POA for both sets. POI vs POA was the same for both sets. The 430 yd strikes proved his case for sure.

I hope he was shooting at 2 different bullseyes on that 100 yard target when taped and in taped because if he was going for the same target there is a POI difference. But ok I don't have a problem now shooting with a taped barrel for 100-200 yards.

My capabilities are around 400 yards on game. Would you guys that can reach out to 600, 800, or 1000 yards think about shooting with tape on? Sort of a devils advocate question. Is it ok at short to medium range but at long range when there are so many variables would you do it?
"I hope he was shooting at 2 different bullseyes on that 100 yard target" !!!!!!!!!!!

Bought this remington r-15 vtr preditor in .223 and from day one it had short cyclinbg issues it was new from gun shop. it set on there shelf for a year when I bought it , remington sold company to new owners while it set on the shelf. now we dont know if remington will warranty it or not or should I exspect the shop to warranty it because it doesnt cycle I payed over 900 .00 for it.

Attachments

• 161090.jpg
    161090.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 39
Bought this remington r-15 vtr preditor in .223 and from day one it had short cyclinbg issues it was new from gun shop. it set on there shelf for a year when I bought it , remington sold company to new owners while it set on the shelf. now we dont know if remington will warranty it or not or should I exspect the shop to warranty it because it doesnt cycle I payed over 900 .00 for it.
Did you want this post in a "shoot through tape on your barrel" thread? 🤠